Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 2 months ago

So let me get this straight and see if this makes any sense to anyone ?

I am an unarmed security guard.  I can't use mace, pepper spray, hand cuffs, gun, baton, brass knuckles to defend myself.  My company provides me with a 6 cell Maglite which takes 6D batteries and about 17.5 inches in length.  I can use it to defend myself which could break bones, severely bruise or injured somebody even kill.  

I am not armed.  Maybe in the UK things arr different when your dealing with the homeless, people trespassing, under the influence of drugs and alcohol.  99% they leave but always that 1% that want to say no and attempt to fight.

I would rather use mace or pepper spray then potential killing someone with a flashlight.

Why is that not perfectly obvious?   They expect you to run away fast, avoid any confrontation and call the local police to handle it.  They don't want to be sued by some dirt bag thug that you hurt.

What are guarding? I assume it's not a bank.

In my state, there are armed guards and unarmed guards. An armed guard is required to complete a separate course and qualify on the weapon before being issued a license as an armed guard.

As you're an unarmed guard, to carry any weapon that is illegal and would be a criminal offense.

Should you injure or kill anyone while illegally armed, you'll be arrested and prosecuted. In addition, your employer and you will both be subject to civil suits.

Your flashlight is intended to be used as both a flashlight and baton.

Why would they need to provide you both?

A gun for homeless people?

Handcuffs? I know you are a wanna be cop, but really?

Brass knuckles?  What a thug.

As for mace and pepper spray? why don't you ask your employer the reason it is not allowed.  Maybe insurance? maybe more likely to be taken and used on you.

Yes, it makes sense to me, although I do understand your point.

You have the flashlight to use as a flashlight.  If you injure or kill someone and they get sued, they can say that you were given it to use as a flashlight.  If you had anything that can be used only as a weapon, and has no other function, such as a gun, mace, pepper spray, brass knuckles, etc., and they get sued, there is no way to deny that you had it only for the purpose of using it as a weapon.

Your duty is to notify the police and the owners. 

You simply call the police for the 1%. Not that complicated.  99% you do not need anything.

So why do you need to be armed? Security guards here in the U.K. are not armed,

Forgot to post a picture so here it is.