What is a troll?

I've been called a troll multiple times. I'm rather unsure what this means. Is it an insult to me because I try to have fun with my questions

Please help.

I fear.

• jehen
    Favorite Answer

When you 'ask' a question, not to get an answer, but to get a reaction, then you are a troll.  And being called a troll is intended to be an insult.  But if that was your intention (to 'have fun', rather than become informed) then being called a troll shows your 'success'.  

It comes from a scary story told to children about a monster that hides under a bridge but has come to mean someone who appears in any group and on the internet that includes social media groups, who pose questions that are not serious but often insulting a group or a person or are just stupid questions such as referring to the wrong period of history or they just are not questions at all but stupid statements., 

''Trolling'' is characterized as making disunity on the Internet by beginning fights or disturbing individuals by posting provocative or off-subject messages in an online local area. Fundamentally, a web-based media ''troll'' is somebody who intentionally says something dubious to aggravate different clients.

• Vy

Being called a "troll" is definitely an insult, meaning: "(in Internet slang) a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet".

Yes, you're a troll if you are asking questions just to get a reaction from people rather than actually seeking answers. 

• Audrey

Fun is not allowed on YA. Verizon said so.