Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 2 months ago

If you study to become a fashion designer can you sew and make fake designer shirts and clothes for personal use?

What you're describing is actually called a knock off. You aren't putting a fake label on it and trying to sell it as the real thing. So it's a knock off. I became a fashion designer and if I wanted copy the silouhette and cut I could but ultimately it would be different from the original. First and foremost I  wouldn't be able to get some of the custom printed fabrics because these are produced for the designer.  In many instances it's the print that makes some designer things unique. Also high end designer wear often uses fine wools, high thread count wools and exquisite natural fibers and fabrics that are extremely expensive. And not available to the general public.  There's only so many ways to make shirt so many designers rely on color and fabrics. If I see something I like and want it and If I make the pattern, procure the fabric, tweak the details and fit to suit me and add my own custom touches and finishes then it's nothing like the designer original so it's not a fake, it's me. It's me doing a knock off, not a fake. 

It's not something I often do, I'd rather make my own idea and designs.

Still a dumb question. If you become a legitimate fashion DESIGNER, how are you making FAKE clothing? If you make it then it is the real deal, no matter if you wear it or you sell it. OMG!!!

No. It is forbidden.