?
Lv 5
? asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is failure the main cause of depression?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Failure is a judgment people make, not an actual thing.

• 1 month ago

Not exactly. Failure does depress one sure enough but it’s not the only thing that could depress people. For instance, there are a lot of people who are successful personally and professionally that go through depression. Sometimes you feel hopeless in life or uninspired despite being successful. Sometimes you aren’t satisfied with the way life’s panning out. You might end up losing interest in life generally and feel like your existence is pointless and you are just a blip in the making.

https://esacare.com/3-mental-health-benefits-of-pe...

Depression can be caused by various factors other than failure, though it does add to a major part of the community being depressed today.

• Alfred
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

not failure in itself, but the tendency to give up/ break down after falure/s - and one's seeing him/herself as failures - just because one failed- can trigger depression....yes

traumas  of different kind can trigger depression

• 2 months ago

I'd say that there's a relationship between the two. Depression is often the result of prolonged stress. People who don't handle stress well are at risk, especially if depression runs in the family. Unemployment can be very stressful. I have advice from experts in my answers and you're welcome to click on my name and read.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No.

The American Medical Association has declared that depression is a disease and like any other disease, it responds well to medications and therapies.  And like any other disease it can be terminal if left untreated or under treated.

There are at least a dozen causes of depression in human beings.  One of these causes is the brain damage that can happen from a head injury or stroke.  Tell me how that equates with "Failure"?

Depression always follows a serious head injury.

• 2 months ago

Nope. It's a mental illness, not an automatic outcome. 

• El
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Are you a member of Generation Z by any chance? That sounds like such a Generation Z thing to say. Also sounds like something Jordan Peterson would say.

There’s dozens of causes of depression. Trauma, parental issues, bullying, relationship breakdowns, financial stresses, bereavement, existential crises, disillusionment, gender dysphoria, loneliness, domestic abuse, so on so forth.

There’s also research showing there’s a ton of potential genetic, endocrine and even immunological causes. 

Failure is of course, ONE potential cause, but who knows what the most prevalent cause is if we can even say there is a single one. There’s people in life that don’t want much of anything and subsequently don’t feel much sadness from failure. There’s also people (like many celebrities) who have achieved a lot yet they’re taking drugs beyond belief, ending up in rehab, committing suicide etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.