Can you go to urgent care if you think you have diabetes? ?

I think I have diabetes. I'm constantly thirsty and peeing (way more than usual). I often get a dry mouth, and there's also a strange chemical taste in my mouth. I even checked my keto levels on a strip, and they came up high (which is strange because I'm not doing a low-carb diet. Could I have ketoacidosis?) 

Should I just make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow? The office is closed today. 

Favorite Answer

1. Yes

2. Up to a medical professional to diagnose

• ?

You CAN go to an urgent care clinic. If you are really worried, do so or even go to an ER.  Just know that you could wait a long time at an ER if you don't present with an emergency.

I'd suggest you CALL your normal GP -- most medical practices have a doctor on call 24/7 even if the office is closed. Talk to them.  They will either tell you to go to an ER because you actually need immediate treatment, or they will advise you to come in for an appointment on Monday. 

I'd also ask you to consider how long this has been going on and if you have any reason to believe that you'd be a diabetic. Most people don't have an acute onset of T1 diabetes or diabetic symptoms.  It often takes weeks or months (even years) for this to happen. There are a lot of causes for increased thirst, urination, and a chemical taste that are not related to diabetes.  

• ?

Yes, you should go to urgent care. Your symptoms indicate you very likely are in diabetic ketoacidosis. You may be a type 1 diabetic. You definitely do need to see a doctor ASAP. 

Do you really want to wait until you are throwing up constantly and cannot drive? 

• Tavy

With the pandemic ?? What do you think your family Doctor is for ? Is he reading books all day?

• kelvin

i would see my family doctor first