Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Will HM be canonized as a Church of England saint, when she kicks the bucket ?

Will the Archbishop of Canterbury, canonize HM as a saint within the Church of England, when she kicks the bucket? 

Has this happened before ? 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Church of England does not engage in canonisation 

• 1 month ago

Instead of burial I'm sure being fired out of a Canon would be an ideal tribute.

Possibly a bit messy, but millions would be willing/enthusiastic to wipe up the entrails.

Long Live the Queen.

• Rico
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It’s only the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches who canonise people as saints.  

In the Anglican communion they do continue to venerate some of the saints that were canonised prior to the reformation and commemorate other notable people of Christianity as heros of the faith in their liturgical calendar though. 

• John
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Why should she be a saint ?     She wasn't martyred,  she performed no miracles 

The COE doesn't canonise anyway. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • The Church of England doesn't canonise saints - but perhaps the Catholic Church will make the Queen a saint for the miracle she performed when her High Court of Australia let Cardinal Pell off for abusing choirboys. 

• 1 month ago

As this is a RC practice, that's extremely unlikely.   And HM has done nothing to qualify her for that in any case.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. Only one king (Charles I) has been canonized, or as near as it comes in the High Anglican Church, as he was martyred. He used to be celebrated in the saints calendar on 30 January in the Book of Common Prayer but was dropped in the mid 19th century along with a few other 'saints' considered politically sensitive.  St Edward (the Confessor) was canonized in the Catholic Church before the English Reformation and his day is 13 October. Also the Saxon king, Edward the Martyr. 

• Rod
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I thought canonizing saints was a catholic practice?

• Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, the Queen will not.

I think you are confusing the Anglican religion with the Catholic religion. Anglican faith does not canonize saints.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The Church of England does not canonize, though it does recognize and honor some people who died for their faith -- the Ugandan Martyrs, for example.  People who were recognized as saints before the English Reformation have remained saints within the C of E, but no new ones have been created.

Some people regard Charles I as a saint, but he's never been officially canonized.

A good thing, too. While his execution was unjust, he doesn't merit canonization.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.