Anonymous

Weightlifting in garage and people make fun?

I lift weights in my garage at night. I don't know why, but many people in the neighborhood like to either laugh when they walk by, or they like to go "WOOW" as if I'm trying to impress them.

Do you think that they are threatened by me, or do you think that they have sucky lives that they're trying to make themselves feel better about? Or, do you think that they are in the right?

I'm in my garage with the garage door closed but can hear them very well.

I didn't say they were upset that they aren't weightlifters. I just meant that they're upset about whatever they're upset about and trying to dump on me to make themselves feel better.

The comment about people saying moo when they pass a cow was great..

Also, I go out of my way to minimize noise 

Why do you have your garage door open? If you don't, how can you see them and how can they see you?

• Gloria

they have sucky lives that they're trying to make themselves feel better about.

Bingo, baby.

• Craig

UPDATE:  I find it a little hard to believe that anyone can feel better about themselves or their personal situation by laughing or making snide comments about someone they don't know, who has nothing to do with them (although I see a number of other answerers who seem to feel that it goes without saying that people do, so perhaps that's just a generational thing).  I think, since your garage door is closed, that you must be making some sort of sound to attract their attention, even though you make every effort to be as quiet as possible.  I know that many lifters grunt, groan, howl, and roar to help themselves handle the weight, and I would imagine that passersby hearing such sounds unexpectedly would be taken quite by surprise.  Some might be frightened at first, but then in relief they could find it very funny.  They might imagine someone straining at ridiculous stool, for example.  Assuming that's what's going on, I would really expect they aren't making fun of you, but rather chuckling about whatever images they imagined based on what they heard.  Most likely the second time they walk by and hear the same thing, they just walk by without any reaction at all.  I wouldn't take any of it personally.

I doubt that they feel threatened by you.  And I think it's unlikely that they're trying to feel better about not being weightlifters or not being buff & cut.  I think there are a few other possibilities that are far more likely.  First, they might feel that you have purposely arranged things in order to be noticed and admired (in other words, that you're showing off) so they feel compelled to sarcastically indicate that they're not impressed (even if the ARE).  Second, you've gotta remember that a great many people feel compelled to yell "mooooo!" every time they pass a cow - so that might account for the number of pointless comments you hear.  Third, young women frequently cover up feelings of awkwardness when something grabs their attention in a way they aren't prepared for by simply giggling, and pretending to be amused.

Any of those are more likely than your theories, IMO.  As for whether they're "in the right" - I don't see any right or wrong to it.  It's just people acting like people.  If you are going to do something unusual (we don't often see young men lifting weights along the sidewalk) then you have to be prepared for unsolicited reactions.  It's to be expected.  This isn't something they're doing TO you.  Just ignore it.

If you're inside your garage close the door and if you can't close the door by yourself a $20 tarp to put in front of the garage. For your privacy

Are you fat? Maybe that’s why🤷🏽‍♀️ Idk not enough info 

Maybe they're annoyed that you make too much noise? Or maybe they're just making corny remarks thinking they're being friendly. If not, then they're probably jealous or feel belittled. Just ignore them.

Just close the garage door.