Johnny asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Would it be a good idea to start a karate dojo at a public park?

I’m a 14 year old karate black belt, and in the summer, I’m usually needing money for shopping and stuff, and I was thinking about becoming a sensei and teaching others the way of the fist at a park, but thinking about money, but the main question here is, would it be a good idea to start my own karate business for money during the summer at a park?

2 days ago

The IRS will come after you eventually. I personally dont believe in anyone under 18 having a black belt. I got mine at  16 or 17 and it was a major exception because I was more than qualified as one of the top students. 

I say go for it. It takes courage to teach a class.

If you can get some friends or anyone to show up. What would you charge? 

It's a great idea, go for it.

• Steel

I liked Cobra Kai Season 3 too...

• Kokoro

Being a black belt does not automatically make you a sensei, the sensei license is received at 3rd or 4th degree depending upon the organization and is still not automatic. and at that rank you should be well into your 20's if not 30's.

If you think you qualify for the title sensei then you most likely went to a mcdojo.

As for teaching in a park even if the allow you to do so in your area (which is doubtful), you will need a business licences and insurance. If someone gets injured, you and your family will be financially responsible, which can be far more costly then you can ever imagine.Any waiver they sign wont hold up in a court, it will still fall on you. 

• Bon

You cannot conduct or operate a for profit business on park property without a permit from the city, county or whatever government entity that owns the land the park sits on.

That in itself may not be a problem except you are 14 years old and a minor, and a minor may not  work or operate a business - you can thank the Child Labor laws for that. Furthermore, a minor cannot legally enter into a contract with another party which in this case would be a student or client you plan to teach.

You also have to ask yourself why would anyone want to be taught by a 14 year old who has to teach at a park?  The very first thing anyone with half a brain would ask you is what is your qualification other than you have a black color belt? To know something does not automatically give you the ability to teach it. Teaching is a separate thing in itself. And in these times when millions of people are out of work and everyone is trying to stretch their dollar, why would they spend it on you when they can be taught be someone with more experience in an established location?

Last, you forgotten the unwritten rule within martial art:  Before you teach, you must have your teacher's permission.  Did you do that?

i dont see why not

• mokrie

You would probably need buy a permit or get arrested.