I have an old loud muffler that has holes in it and is rusted? Can I cover the holes with tape to keep it working properly?

• Kieth
    Favorite Answer

Special muffler tape is available, but it's temporary.

• Jay P

"Can" you?  Absolutely!

Will it work properly?  No...

I ended up silver-brazing stainless over the holes in my Honda's mufflers. It looked like chrome, lasted for years..

Muffler patch might work but looks Lame. I have a  wire welder I got on sale for $72, use it for everything. Even the pinhole leaks in my Chevy and Toyota's mufflers.. Used hi temp Barbeque paint over the welds.  Repainted entire exhausts  after   the  manifolds, looks  New.

• F

You should get it repaired unless:-

1. It’s a Civic, everyone will assume it’s supposed to sound like that

2. It’s a Subaru, in which case it will sound even more awesome.

Not really. 

A holey muffler besides making noise is also a safety threat. 

Why can't you replace it? 

Be safe. 

Amen.

good duck tape............

Dude, what'yer thinkin'? It's never going to work properly. Not even if you wrap it in solid gold. A muffler will cost between $160 & $240.

You can wrap it with exhaust tape, but the 'guts' are already beyond repair and not working properly.

No, it will fall off in no time.

When I had a 1993 Datsun 280Z The muffler was over $800. I took a piece of 8" furnace duct and cut it to fit over the rust spot in my muffler. I coated the area with muffler cement and pop riveted the duct work over the holes. Lasted for years. Tape won't last.