I have an old loud muffler that has holes in it and is rusted? Can I cover the holes with tape to keep it working properly?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Kieth
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Special muffler tape is available, but it's temporary.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Can" you?  Absolutely!

Will it work properly?  No...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I ended up silver-brazing stainless over the holes in my Honda's mufflers. It looked like chrome, lasted for years..

Muffler patch might work but looks Lame. I have a  wire welder I got on sale for $72, use it for everything. Even the pinhole leaks in my Chevy and Toyota's mufflers.. Used hi temp Barbeque paint over the welds.  Repainted entire exhausts  after   the  manifolds, looks  New.

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You should get it repaired unless:-

1. It’s a Civic, everyone will assume it’s supposed to sound like that

2. It’s a Subaru, in which case it will sound even more awesome.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not really. 

A holey muffler besides making noise is also a safety threat. 

Why can't you replace it? 

Be safe. 

Amen.

• 1 month ago

good duck tape............

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dude, what'yer thinkin'? It's never going to work properly. Not even if you wrap it in solid gold. A muffler will cost between $160 & $240.

• 1 month ago

You can wrap it with exhaust tape, but the 'guts' are already beyond repair and not working properly.

• 1 month ago

No, it will fall off in no time.

• 1 month ago

When I had a 1993 Datsun 280Z The muffler was over $800. I took a piece of 8" furnace duct and cut it to fit over the rust spot in my muffler. I coated the area with muffler cement and pop riveted the duct work over the holes. Lasted for years. Tape won't last.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.