Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Lost title for car?

Lost title for car, I contacted the previous owner about getting his information to fill out the proper paper work. He’s been avoiding giving me the information name address and id number for the dmv. Is there anyway to get his info through the car vin number?

More Information. In the event that you have different inquiries with respect to lost or devastated titles,

If the title is still in the seller's name you are SOL.  See a lawyer and get a bonded title.

Umm...Did you register the vehicle? No? It's still in his name. He has to sign it. And, only he can get a copy.

While I just replied for a Motorcycle title issue ...it is about the same so it is cut  & paste and YOU read and change where I say motorcycle to car.

. Both are vehicles.

On the firewall in the engine bay there is a metal plaque that says V.I.N.(is a possibility). In European cars it is on the drivers side of the top of the dashboard that you can see if you look through the windshield glass while out of the car.  Any person can see this set of numbers. on a metal tag.

.   Take "that number" to the cop shop and have them do a reported Theft check on the car. Their computers go across state lines and other countries. If it comes back clean, then you move on to the next stage. It has been awhile since I did it so accuracy may not be spot on but "bear with me".   I believe you go to your local DMV and tell them you want to re-register the car(because of the error in the VIN which you SHOW THEM WHAT THE ACTUAL NUMBER IS AND WHAT YOU got for a Title papers. Now, it  MAY be an issue with them and it may not. You are trying to satisfy THEM. The B & the 8 is not a big thing for they know the VIN is 6 or 9 numbers(I'm not counting how many numbers it is) THEY know...the sequence. 

"The bill of sale" they do not care if you paid $5 or $50,000.00 for it. It is your receipt. Once the bike is titled in your name the BoS is a useless piece of paper. Basically once you got it out of the seller's yard, it is your only proof you paid for the bike. Until you get it home...and titled. Otherwise the seller could report the bike stolen to the cops and they would be after you as you are pushing or trailering the bike home. That BoS has the sellers signature on it and the date. So he can't claim his bike was stolen when in fact he did receive money. It is your PROOF.

. Getting back to the DMV...when you ask to re-register the car, one requirement was reporting to the cop shop to have a search done. You did that and got a piece of paper on a "records check"

. DMV may tell you about a second stage which is it is posted in your "local newspaper" under "classifieds Lost & Found" (I believe) that you "found" a motorcycle. The rightful owner can claim it at. Phone #. with further identification. Usually that will be the registration papers...with the correct VIN# and engine size, & color of the bike & bike make. This information you did not give out....so for them to guess correctly on that stuff means it is their machine. & they have the paperwork to prove that they owned it. That ad is kept in the newspaper for 2 weeks. No rightful claims, then you pull the ad. Then you go back to DMV with proof you had the ad for 2 weeks as you get a receipt from the newspaper as it cost you money for 2 WEEKS. It also cost using the cops for a "records check" back then for me back then in my town. The DMV now had the proof required you tried to find the legal owner but no luck.

. Good enough. DMV can make a new title to YOU.

You now can get a plate for the car and insurance.

The DMV rules in your state or country may be different somewhat but you follow what THEY say.

You are only going to do this ONCE in your life(most likely)

As for the former owner. He is the "Former".  It is forgotten. All paperwork you got and he has nothing nor needs nothing to do with that vehicle anymore.

He has NOTHING for you. No need to bother him. I can't remember the number of cars I sold let alone any specifics about them. That paperwork hit the fireplace.  I am not required to hold onto schit. That is YOUR problem now.  He signed off on owning that vehicle to you. He has forgotten your name. You are not important in his life.

OR CHECK THE OTHER JACKET YOU RARELY WEAR. PAPERS MAY BE THERE.  Mine stay in the glovebox of the car.

• Scott

Massive fail. After you bought the car, the first place you should have gone was the DMV to transfer title and register it.

• May

your explanation is too vague.

Are you saying that you bought a car, had the title for it, then did not apply for a new title in your name before you lost the title? 

If so, the previous owner will have to get a duplicate for you but if he won't co-operate, visit your DMV and explain.  They May have a solution for you

If you didn't get the title to the vehicle you bought processed in your name, all can say is EPIC FAIL. If the former owner isn't willing to help, you're screwed because the information you seek is private. The DMV cannot give it to you. Maybe a private investigator can track it down, but that isn't cheap. 

If you bought the vehicle and had the title you just need to go to the DMV and apply for a lost title replacement. You also should have gotten a receipt from the seller stating what you paid for the vehicle and the VIN on the paperwork. 

If you never put it in your name, only he can apply for a replacement.(or his notarized signature) If you did put it in your name, you don't need him or his info.