Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Do HM the Queen’s values regarding marriage differ from those of her divorced children ?

Do you admire more HM the Queen’s values, overall?

EDIT TO REMOVE THE INADVERTENT INCLUSION OF THE WORD “MORE” FROM THE FOLLOWING CORRECTED SENTENCE:

Do you admire HM the Queen’s values, overall?

Yes, if anyone has grounds for divorce, she does, but it apparently has always been out of the question. I don’t know how to regard this attitude of hers. People who are rolling in money can afford to have unhappy marriages.

• Shiloh

We only know the Queen from her official presentation and from that , including her marriage, she is exemplary. 

When HM makes a vow, you can count on her not to renege. It's quite admirable. She's an admirable lady.

• Clo

I have respect for the Queen.

I don't think values regarding marriage differ. Her children all entered the marriage state hoping to be married for life. But, marriages often fail these days, as did the marriages of three of the Queen's children. Anne and Charles both remarried, wedded to partners who are supportive of them and all that comes with being royal and both now seem happily wed. Edward took years of dating Sophie so that she would see what the royal life was like and their marriage looks to be a good one. As to Andrew and Sarah, they have remained good friends, causing tongues to wag that they might remarry.

I'm sure they do -- as they differ from those of a whole line of previous monarchs of the UK.

In fact, the Queen is a real outlier in her family when it comes to her marital behavior.  Only a few of her reigning forebears behaved similarly.

Her values are admirable to a point, but when a marriage isn't working, it's foolish -- even cruel -- to demand that the parties remain married and faithful.  The Queen did not do so.

I'm sure you wouldn't demand that yourself, now, would you?

I admire, to a certain extent, The Queen for her dedication to duty. It must have been very difficult to juggle family and crown. 

• I'm not sure her values are different - but she clearly believed it was inappropriate for the monarch to separate or divorce so she maintained the facade of a marriage to Sir Prince Philip. I believe they have become good friends. 

I suppose she'd hoped to lead by example.   However, given the marriage between Charles and Diana was arranged, there was always a risk that it might not work.   As for Andrew and Sarah, and Anne and her failed marriage, I suppose HM can only accept that humans can make bad choices.   At least so far Edward's marriage seems to have worked.

I have respect for the Queen - is all.

People can have all the values they want but if a marriage fails, it fails

as it does for about a third of marriages in the UK.

Maybe but seeing as she doesn't discuss it in public we will never know