Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

I'm driving someone's car but they won't give me a copy of their insurance, what can I do?

I need a copy in case of an accident or when cops ask for it. But the owner of the car refuses to give me a copy of it. I can't afford my own car at the moment so I need to continue driving this car.

• car253

Ask them who is their insurance agent.   Maybe the agent or company will give you a copy of the insurance card.    Ask the owner if their insurance company has "permissive use".   That means anyone can drive their car and they are covered. 

You can get your own auto insurance called a "Non-Owned" vehicle policy.   And, it does not cost that much.   Call around and get some quotes for it.

That would cover any car you drive as long as you do not own it.

• L

Why would they give you a copy of THEIR insurance?  Their insurance is in their name - not yours.  You need to have your own insurance.

• May

You don't need "a copy of their insurance".  You only need a small card that shows the car is insured.  They are usually kept in the glove box.  Look ?  Are you sure that the car really is insured?  If it isn't insured.  Stop driving it.

When you're stopped you explain that it isn't your car. If you're not arrested for driving a stolen vehicle, the cops will contact the legal owner to make sure you're allowed to drive that car. If the owner gave you the car to drive, and THEIR insurance policy does not allow it, then you'll both be charged with driving without insurance. 

The basic principle is that there must be insurance in place covering you to drive that car, and you as driver must be able to prove it.  In many places you are required to carry proof in the car.

If he won't provide you with proof I suspect there is no insurance in place. That being the case, you must not drive it.

The burden of proof is on the owner as well as the driver. Proof of insurance is supposed to be kept in the vehicle. This person is a fool if they think not giving you proof that they are covered will get them out of responsibility for a claim where you are at fault. You are a fool for driving a car without proof of insurance.

• Dan B

State laws madate that proof of insurance must be carried in the car at all times it is being driven on the roadways.  No ifs, ands, buts or conditions override that law.  However, you might not be covered if the owner's insurance doesn't specifiy other unnamed drivers.  If you have a accident, theoretically, the owner can claim the car was stolen (to avoid insurance claim against his policy) and you'll be explaining the felony theft charge.

Most states require the card to be in the vehicle. Either way, the police will verify it anyway.

• Eva

The insurance card is supposed to be kept in the glove compartment of the car.

That's risky, you might not be covered at all.