Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

is it sinful to boil crabs alive?

Favorite Answer

It is sinful to cause unnecessary suffering. In the case of crabs they excrete a toxin that is lethal for human consumption. Boiling their meat neutralizes that toxin. Just because we are primitive and haven't found better, scientifically advanced methods to remove the poison doesn't mean it is ethical or permissible. 

It is extremely wrong to boil an animal alive. We know that crabs and lobsters cry in pain when being boiled. Octopuses too! Therefore what to do? As I understand it, you can still boil DEAD crabs to get rid of the poison. Otherwise it is best to avoid eating them all-together. It is absolutely cruel to cause such inhumane suffering!

What is the best way to kill a crab? The Crab must be put to sleep in the fridge or freezer. Crabs can also be anesthetized before being killed. See study "The effects of tricaine mesylate on arthropods: crayfish, crab and Drosophila". Clove oil has also been suggested. If you use a knife it should be a special knife which is sharpened as much as possible and can penetrate the crabs nervous center easily. In addition to it being asleep. It should be a big knife and not a small knife. Scalpels are probably the best tool for this. Make sure to knife all the way until the you touch the back of the shell. Quickly pull knife out and drain the blood. Alternatively a bullet in the crabs nervous center or spearing the crab from the center like the Aborigines do. 

See "EXTREMELY GRAPHIC: Live Kill and Twice Cooked Blue Crabs" on YouTube. I found this chef to be somewhat humane. But I think he should have anesthetized them first and or put them to sleep. Crabs can sense and smell where another crab has been slaughtered. If you wanted to go above and beyond the letter of the law you should wash the knife and board each time. I thought this method was a quick death. Some crabs are very big however and their shells will not break. Hence sticking a knife or spear inside the nerve center is all you can do. Drugging them as well is also good. 

The crab should lose consciousness in seconds. 

Source(s): Orthodox Jew

Wrong category.

• ?

Nope. Animals are part of the natural environment that has been given to us by God. Why would boiling a crab be any worse than killing a cow?

• Pete

No. But it's sinful to burn witches and persecute homosexuals, or anyone else that doesn't believe what you believe.

I don't think the bible gives any explicit guidance on this matter. I would advise you to look within and find the answer there. Do you think it is wrong to boil a crab alive? Too often do people look to the bible for specific answers, when I believe it was written as a general guide to morality at the time. Sometimes you have to use your own moral compass to come to the conclusion inside your heart and soul, using the lessons of whatever scripture or code of ethics you believe as a guide. By asking this question, I would assume that you have some degree of moral or ethical dilemma with the practice, so I would encourage you to meditate on this question and find your own truth.

Is it sinful according to WHOM? Since - as we all should know by now - every culture, religion, sect, denomination and society has their own measure of what qualifies as a 'sin', who's opinions on this issue are going to influence you, and why them specifically? I'll be clearer: You're asking a subjective question about a subjective term. All answers therefore will be subjective, and not factual. Understanding that, how will any answers help you?

What did MLK think of evollution

With regard to scientific materialism, King was searing:

To believe that human personality is the result of the fortuitous interplay of atoms and electrons is as absurd as to believe that a monkey by hitting typewriter keys at random will eventually produce a Shakespearean play. Sheer magic! It is much more sensible to say with Sir James Jeans, the physicist, that “the universe seems to be nearer to a great thought than to a great machine,” or with Arthur Balfour, the philosopher, that “we now know too much about matter to be materialists.” Materialism is a weak flame that is blown out by the breath of mature thinking. (p. 70)

Crabs are an unclean animal, so the Bible gives no hint as to how to fix them correctly. What guidance is given (not to eat that which is strangled) hardly applies. But the restriction on not eating or drinking blood does.

So if some one were to boil down Christianity to how to cook a crab, it might be considered a sin.

The discussion comes down the if a person is doing with a clean conscience or not. The New Testament if full of warnings about judging others by what they eat (or don't eat). It is not that which goes into a person that defiles them, but the words that proceed from the heart!

Let me put it this way:

How to fix (or even eat) a crab is not a form of righteousness. It is a form of self-righteousness (or vanity).

• yesmar

Yes.

..............

• Carmen

I don't know but it's certainly delicious. The phrase "culinary sins" does not mean the same thing as sins in Bible.