How long would it take my package to ship to Japan?

I am currently shipping a priority package through USPS from Oklahoma to Japan and it has currently been in Chicago since Dec 30th and I am curious as to how long packages usually take to get from this distance to Japan. It has no expected delivery date.    

Under normal circumstances, by air (there is no more sea mail from the US) it takes about 7-10 days. The pandemic has caused some delays, definitely, but you are talking about its last scan point 3 weeks ago, which is very unusual.

Just because its last scan point shows Chicago does not mean that it is in Chicago. I have noticed for many items there are very few places it is scanned between the departure city and its destination. Quite often once it leaves your city you hear very little until it is almost at its destination.

You should have a receipt when you mailed it, and it has a tracking number on it. You can look it up through the USPS website. Or take the receipt to your local post office to have them check.

Just to compare, I sent a box to Japan last October (33 lbs, postage was about $165) by Priority Mail (not Global Express) and it arrived in 8 days. Those telling you there are over 3 week delays for air mail are full of it.

• ?

It may not really be in Chicago. But the Trump administration stripped the post office of machinery and personnel, and all the mail has taken much longer than it used to. Then things get held up at borders, as they are examined for things that aren't supposed to be shipped or, at the other end, in customs. In fact, my guess is that your package is held up in Japanese customs. 

• hihi!

You can NOT trust tracking. We were waiting for a packet from USA to be delivered to Russia. First it was in St. Louis, then Chicago (I thought O'Hare airport and then EUROPE!!) Then it went to Cincinnati... and quit moving, per tracking. After a week or so there, we got a message "item will be returned to sender".  Four days later we received it in Russia. go figure...

• Quinn

Because of the pandemic, there is no means to predict the transit time for a package shipped overseas.  If by "ship" you literally mean by ocean going ships, it would take over 3 weeks + plus whatever quarantine procedures are in place in Japan.

If you sent it via airfreight, that could be a problem because during normal times, such freights were also carried by passenger airliners. But since the pandemic, overseas flights have been drastically cut back, so there are fewer airlines and less cargo space to carry the freight overseas.