JJ
Lv 5
JJ asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Why did empress dowagers have precedence over empress consorts at the Russian court?

(This is my second posting for this question.  Not certain why my first posting of this question was deleted) 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It was just a way to honor the widow's age and experience. There was no specific protocol as the reigning monarch could set precedence specifically for the occasion.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dude, that's not hard. The Dowager was the wife. The consorts had no title, no social bearing.

• 1 month ago

It's no surprise that they were all lined up against a wall and despatched.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The senior person takes precedence, that was how it went with Russians.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Mother in-laws can be a real pain in the a$$. Even emperors and empresses need to chose their battles wisely with the old vipers. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

This simply became a tradition after the widowed  mother of Tsar Alexander I demanded it in the early 19th century.  As I posted earlier, it wasn't  a matter of a law, and it didn't obtain anywhere but Russia.

• Rico
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The tsars caved into to their mothers demands to have higher precedence. The majority of them didn’t have a daughter in law to contend with at the beginning of their sons reigns. 

• 1 month ago

Because the empress dowager would usually be the mother of the current Tsar, obviously.

• 1 month ago

Dowagers were also consorts in their day, but they are of a previous generation.  One always gives way to one's parents, or a previous generation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.