Have you ever experienced a drastic change in music taste, opinion of a band or song, etc.?

• Phil M

Yes, I liked Guns and Roses' first record. Now I can't stand them.

Yes. Like a lot of teens in the '80s, I was into rock music -- hair metal, hard rock, heavy metal, etc. But it got to the point in the late 80s where what started as Iron Maiden and Motley Crue had turned into stuff like Poison and Enuff Z'Nuff. I remember seeing the video for the Enuff Z'Nuff song "New Thing" and thinking, Jesus, is this what metal is now? Cotton candy and rainbows and pap? Guns 'N Roses had made a big splash, and Living Colour were making a buzz, and Skid Row had some cred, but otherwise it was lame-o stuff like Firehouse and Nelson hogging all the air play. It was like rock music had lost its balls.

Then one day I was hanging out in the barracks with some buddies when MTV debuted the video for some song called "Smells Like Teen Spirit," by this no-name band called "Nirvana." And it just floored me. You could sense, watching that video, hearing those chords, that voice, those drums, that this was a big deal. It was a massive culture shock.

A lot of hair metal bands hated Nirvana, because Nirvana killed hair metal. But the truth is that hair metal, as witnessed by what it had become, needed killing. It had become a product, with no real artistry or substance. Grunge (though I don't like that term) only lasted a few years, but that's all the time it needed to completely turn the music industry on its head and force more artists to actually put thought into their music. 

I feel that music today is right back where it was in the late 80s/early 90s. Lots of flash and glamour, but not a lot of substance. We need a new Nirvana to flush out all these chumps and breathe new life back into rock and roll.

Yes, more than a few crappy artists have surprised me when they suddenly put out a masterpiece.

I like two types of music - REAL metal of the heavy melodic Euro sort and Classical.  Nothing in between.

Sure thing. I started disliking the Bee Gees since they released "Jive Talking." Sort of liked their earlier work such as "How Can you Mend a Broken Heart." Hated it when Barry Gibb started singing falsetto in the disco era. Hated songs like "Staying Alive" and "Night Fever." 

Yes, this happened to me just a couple of days ago.

I wanted to listen to The Cure's Disintegration on a recent long drive- an album I love and think of often, even if I hadn't heard it in years. I thought I downloaded it, but in fact I forgot to, so head slap for ol' Livin'. Never mind, I said, but I made sure I got it downloaded properly for the trip back.

So I did build myself some anticipation in this process. I couldn't wait to hear the songs "The Same Deep Water as You" and "Prayers for Rain" especially as I had always considered them masterpieces.

However after listening to it, I just thought to myself this is not as good as I remember and after doggedly completing it for old times sake, I just didn't enjoy it all. It really surprised me tbh.

Yes. Dave Mustaine made a political comment that ticked me off. Threw out everything I had by Megadeth after hearing it.

Many times in my life. College radio played the interesting stuff. I haven’t listened to commercial radio stations for the last ten years. Now most of my music exposure is word of mouth or streaming. At my age, I know my tastes. I'm still open to new music, but little gets my attention. 

• mars

Yes. I used to listen to Prog-Rock like Dream Theater, Yes, King Crimson. Got tired of it, now like Blues-Rock.

• Dze

my daughter got me into 'day to remember'  .. i hated that sht at first lol ... now its 'dad likes screamo' lol ..