Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

If I believe God is within me in the Platonic sense, and not floating on a cloud somewhere-am I a atheist or a theist?

an

Not joking, Thomas Paine said "God is within me". I think thinkers from Kierkegaard to Tolstoy are working from the same premise. 

You are a seeker.  I’d say agnostic but you recognize God—so more than that.  You probably  are a theist.  I’ve heard talk of inner-Christ’s by universalists.  I’ve heard Lutherans speak of the little Christ within (they believe that we are both sinner and Saints.) Kierkegaard was Lutheran.  Tolstoy was raised in the Russian Orthodox Church. They are very mystic—beautiful with things done multiple times, and incense.  I hope God needs less incense and repetition to hear us.  

So if you are seeking and looking for labels—go seek religious websites sites.  There is usually a statement faith or “what we believe.”

I’d probably stay away from fundamentalists in any religion who tend to believe that the sacred books are to be taken fully literally—without symbolism or human influence—but that is where I come from.

So much worship is available online, so experience that.

Happy seeking

You are in a state of hallucination. Note: Jesus was resurrected alone; that is he failed to save any sinner. Apostles showed the act of Holy Spirt but they are feeding and brought up the Holy Spirit. Conclusively, we are help God to improve and growing until He failed to follow. He failed to improve so that he destroyed the world. Perhaps, the original idea of creating human is to destroy the world. So far, God is making fun for Himself via human destruction.

You're an agnostic leaning theist I truly would say zxjqk

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

It is not the matter how you believe in God. If you believe that there is a God then you are a theist. "God is within everyone" is an old saying. If you believe that God is within you then I am the God because I am connected to all creatures including human beings internally, but I am not a God. I am just an ordinary human being with normal intelligence. You are living in a miraculous era of God. This is a temporary miracle of God. The people who have born in this era cannot realize this miracle because they have born with it. An honest old gentleman aged 80 can explain about this miracle in detail.

You are possibly a Catholic.

• j153e

"Return to the One:  Plotinus's Guide to God-Realization" by Brian Hines moves the sphere of Self-realization to Plotinus' "One Mind Soul," which is what e.g. apostles John and Paul had as well.  So, you're a theist--"God's real in me."

In the case you described on here, you're still a delusional religious believer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s interesting that you say “God is within me”. I’m not sure if you’ve read the bible, but it says that in Him we live and move and have our being. And it also says in Genesis that God formed man from dust/clay, and breathed into his nostrils to make him a living being. We’re made in God’s image and likeness and God’s breath is in us. Yet when we believed the devil’s lies that God didn’t want us to be like Him, and lost faith in His goodness, we sinned, our souls became twisted, and death was the result. But God promised a redeemer. It is clear in the bible that God wants to dwell within us, His Spirit united with ours, restoring us to relationship with Him as His beloved children. That’s why Jesus came to atone for our sin and rise again so that when we put our faith in Him God’s Holy Spirit can come and live within us, transform us from glory to glory by the truth, and give us eternal life. And He gave us His Word so we can renew our minds in the likeness of Jesus, the Son of God.

Basically if you believe in any sort of god or god(s) you are not an agnostic or an atheist.

• Carmen

If you believe any gods exist at all, you are definitely not an atheist.