Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should you be racist back?

Lets say someone is making a racist tirade against you; basically insulting you for your race. Is it a good idea to say racist things BACK at them; degrade them for their race? 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

No. You should smile pityingly and walk away.

They hate that.

• 3 months ago

You misunderstand the nature of racism.  White people just are racist because we have White privilege and society is structured to prefer us (which is not to say we're not prejudiced against in other ways or are not also subject to racism).  Racial prejudice is a subset of racism, and it's arguable whether someone with dark skin in a predominantly fair-skinned environment can even be racist.  They can express prejudice against a member of a different ethnicity but it takes more than that to be racist.  And no you shouldn't do that, because racism is always wrong.

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Sure, Why not ?

• 3 months ago

Best to just turn your back on them and walk away  so that you don't degrade yourself to their levels

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

No. Rise above it. Don't argue with idiots. Point it out emphatically and walk away. Not worth your time 

• Craig
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

There's not much point in engaging with someone who has already resorted to demeaning you on the basis of "race".  It's not like you're going to either clear up their misconceptions OR hurt their feelings.  You won't accomplish anything, and it won't let you feel better - you'll just end up more annoyed than you were at the outset.

And you're not DEFENDING some line in the sand.  Billions of tons of racist gas is vented into the atmosphere every day around the world, and you're not rescuing or protecting anybody from harm by arguing with any one, given racist.  Don't fool yourself on THAT score.

Actually, the Number ONE excuse that racists offer for their behavior is "THEY are racist towards ME, so why SHOULDN'T I be racist towards THEM?"  (It's the old "but she did it first" defense you remember from kindergarten.)  You hear it ALL the time.  So basically by saying racist things back at them, you're actually ENABLING them.

• ?
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

No, it's never good to sink down to someone's level. Be the bigger person and don't react to it or retaliate, otherwise you'll end up being just as horrible as they are. It's also not worth your time or energy to bother with such negative people. Stay positive, don't acknowledge or engage with them, and set a good example for anyone who may be witness. You'll come out the good guy 100% of the time.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

It can be tempting on occasions but it's better to respond kindly and move on. I'm white by the way and have met racists who are not black or white.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Sure. That's the reason why I became a white nationalist. I was tired of the societal racism thrown at me simply because I have white skin. Technically I merely defend my race but occasionally will make things personal like point out how black people have lower average IQ.

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

No - I'd keep the insults on a personal level - degrading them for stupidity, fatness, lack of success, ugly-ness , their car.  But, leave their mother out of it. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.