JSG asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

What domestic animal species are comparable to cats and dogs in terms or territorialism?

Hi. I am doing some research on this. I know rabbits and ferrets are. I was told horses are too. Are there any others?

Please help. Thank you.

Update:

What domestic animal species are comparable to cats and dogs in terms of territorialism?

- FIXED.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Horses are NOT AT ALL territorial like dogs and cats. 

In their natural environment, horses are nomadic.  They have to move constantly to eat since they are basically lawn mowers with legs.  They live in herds.  They stay safe by being ready to run 24/7/365.    They can sleep standing up and not more than 15 minutes at a time.   They only need about three hours total of sleep a day and they spend the rest of it moving and eating.   If they feel threatened, they RUN LIKE HELL.   They do not defend a territory.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Almost all. Rats, guinea pigs, mice, snake, every animal is pretty much territorial in nature, and domesticating them doesn't typically make a difference. I've had rats pretty much my whole life, and males can get especially nasty with their territory if it's not curbed when they are babies. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.