Should the drinking age in America be 18 ?

I used to think that our drinking age is outrageously high, but know that I’m 21 and can buy my own alcohol legally, I don’t really care and kinda understand why it’s 21. What do you think, I know Europe and Canada the drinking age is 18, but they also have a much different drinking culture then we do. At the same time part of the reason college and high school kids often want to drink is because they think it’s cool to do something their not supposed to do 

No, and the reason why is that the younger you are the less likely you are to think through the consequences of your actions.  Thus the younger drinker is more likely to drive drunk putting everyone on the road (pedestrians included) at greater risk.  It is also illogical to make it legal for someone whose brain is still developing (as is the case for people under 21) a license to kill brain cells.  The age wasn't arbitrarily chosen.

I think so.  I have never really got why it’s 21 in a liberal, developed world country.  Here in the UK it’s 18 and we have quite a drinking culture here, but we generally don’t have too much trouble with it. Town and city centres and hospitality venues police young drinkers well.  Drinking and socialising are part of growing up , and if the age was lowered in the US, it would put a lot more taxable income into the economy. 

Sure         

• JuanB

For the record, a majority of Canada drinking age is 19.  It's province by province but all 18 or 19.  I find what comes with a lower drinking age, is youth taking on more responsibility.

As for the USA, remember that time you tried Prohibition and failed.  You ended up with everyone breaking the law, and Gangsters flourished.  Well isn't it obvious that the high 21 drinking is just the same thing as Prohibition was just on a smaller scale?  

Alcohol and children do not mix

Yes, it should be lowered back to 18. You can vote, go to college, join the military, or be elected to public office for that matter. Yet you're not adult enough to drink beer, and you can stay on your parents' insurance until you're 26. If America really is producing that many immature people, blame parenting, schooling and society, not biology.

No.  It should be 30.  It should also be 30 for driving.

• kswck2

Alcohol and children do not mix well. 

i think it is...........

Maybe 65 would be better- were stupid enough on average.