Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I get unemployment if I got fired ?

I got fired from my last job for breaking a policy so I was at fault. However, people I know keep telling me I should apply for unemployment but I thought you could only get that if you were layed off. Lately I’ve been looking for jobs but nowhere is hiring due

stimulus money dude....  or you can work at the hospital....

don't worry 33 million people are out of work, you're just another one of them losers lol

Possibly.  It depends on the state and why you were fired.

The general rule is you have to lose your job through no fault of your own. If you are fired for something you did, that is supposed to disqualify you.

You may get benefits even if you were fired depending on the conditions.  What was the policy which you broke?  Was it a significant policy which would affect the business?

Apply for unemployment.  The former employer can challenge it, but you won't know until you try.

No you cannot get unemployment

• xyzzy

You might as well file for unemployment. You typically cannot get unemployment if you quit. If you are fired for cause your employer can contest the unemployment if they wish (but they don't have to) and the Unemployment system will make the determination if the unemployment  will be granted or not.  I once handed in my resignation but then my boss mentioned I could not get unemployment if I quit, so they fired me and then I collected unemployment.

• Clyde

Yes you can get the money, that’s why the boss wants us to quit so he won’t have to pay you

• Mog

No. You can apply but you won’t be approved for benefits unless they make a mistake.