Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

How/Where can I sell my notes?

I'm a junior in high school, and I have a lot of notes (typed) and study guides that I've made for different classes (mostly for AP World History, Physics, and AP Biology) I feel that my notes and particularly my study guides are pretty good and they helped me a lot. I spent a lot of time and effort making them and I'm wondering what to do with them now. I'm considering selling them online, either through social media or putting them up on one of those websites (course hero, stuvia, etc.) Is that a good idea? Can I get in trouble with my school for selling notes? (All the study guides are written in my own words so I think I should be alright? Some have pictures from online or textbooks but I can cite the source or just take them out.) 

Does Course Hero pay? I know some of my students have uploaded their work there. As long as you're not putting finished papers for students to submit as their own. I think that would be a good place to put your notes. 

• fcas80

I would definitely remove pictures from textbooks or from anything your teacher wrote because they hold the copyright to them, not you.

Do not include any homework questions for the same reason.

If your notes are your original work, then you hold the copyright to them and should be able to sell them.  You might ask the school if they have a problem with this, but tell them exactly what I wrote in the prior sentence.

Just go on Facebook and look for local online yardsales. The notes probably wouldn't help someone who isn't from your particular school district, as each district is different. As far as the school minding, I can't see why they would, but maybe just to be safe, ask before you go ahead.

They will only be useful to someone taking the same class with the same teacher. I suggest you approach some kids who are taking the specific classes you took. And you should include the homework assignments too, otherwise it’s not worth much. You can probably get in trouble with the school, so don’t make it too widely known.