Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 3 months ago

Why does the media try to convince the world that arguing is healthy?

Throughout the years, I've severed plenty of relationships simply because I did not want to argue with the person anymore, it was too much of a headache and I liked my peace and quiet.

The way I look at it: you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Just because you try to be louder than me while arguing doesn't mean I'm going to change my mind or say that you're right just to satisfy your hurt ego.

I'm not just talking about romantic partnerships. I mean family, friends, coworkers, etc. etc. 

Is the media trying to tell us that everyone should enjoy arguing and that if you don't you're defective? Who invented that logic? Is it really so bad to prefer to be around a person or people that is more on the same wavelength as you, and provides a sense of peace and comfort in your lives?

That may sound boring to some, but maybe I just like boring, and I think that's okay.

A particular person in my life tried to start 2 different arguments with me in one day, or at least they felt some sense of power trying to assume that I didn't know something.

I don't have the energy to shout or swear anymore, but I plainly told them how wrong they were about the way I thought on the subject, and how I frankly didn't care about the discussion anyways. 

I'm sure you know a person like this or have dealt with them before. Why are there so many people like this?

Anonymous: Thank you for wasting your time on my question. Reported and goodbye! 

• ?

"The media" isn't one big monolith and believe it or not there are still some facts based outlets that do straight reportage without trying to manipulate your emotions. But if you're in the US this is currently hard to find as networks profit more from "rage clicks" than being competent sources of information. One hopes that the new administration will harken in a time when we get to hear about something other than what's going on in DC. Americans were never supposed to care this much about who the President is because under the US system your Governor, Mayor and City Council have far more impact on your daily life. 

I think you are failing to understand the distinction between arguing and FIGHTING. Arguing is negotiating differences, stating your position, listening to the other person's position, discussing the merits of each position, and seeking some common ground you can both live with. 

Fighting is when it becomes more about being right than about working something out, more about being right than about being constructive. When people are shouting at each other, they aren't negotiating in good faith anymore, just trying to get their own way. 

"Arguing is good" means that where there conflict or difference it's bad to shut down, stone wall, refuse to engage, refuse to talk about it, refuse to negotiate. 

What makes a relationship a relationship is that the two (or more) people try to address and negotiate differences, they to work things out. If that's not happening, then there's not much of relationship -- just people spending time together. 

And if you " frankly didn't care about the discussion anyways" then you don't have that urge to " plainly [tell] them how wrong they were." You just say "OK" and shut up. Obviously you DO care. 

Yes there are indeed people who just love to bicker and squabble, drama monsters who never pass up an opportunity to escalate conflict. And they are vexations of the spirit. But those who are so conflict adverse that they cannot or will not negotiate difference in good faith? Just as vexing, just as much to be avoided. 

BTW this is a public Q&A forum, not a support group. Public means EVERYBODY including mean people, sarcastic people, troublemakers, idiots, and so on. If you can't handle getting answers you don't like, you're in the wrong place. 

• Burgoo

100 percent correct