Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Would you be happy if your son decided to enlist in the Army?

I am 20 and have decided to enlist in the Army. My fols are disappointed and are trying to get me to cange my mind. I got goos grades at school and started college but it wasn't for me. They say I am wasting opportunities I have and should be aiming higher than enlisting. 

• Kyle

there are many jobs in the army besides combat or infantry.  so if that's your route, you can explain that to them and maybe they'll open up a little bit.  

but even if that's not your plan, you're still an adult and sometimes need to do things on your own.  

• Joe

You're doing fine.  Next time your folks get on you ask them if they could respect the person they raised.   The truth may be college is for you but not now.  In 3 or 4 years you will most likely have a career interest.  Then you can pursue that career by going to college with your veteran benefits.

I'd be interested in the why? If I don't have an answer for such, I'd truly be perturbed.

All in all, you should be aiming higher. However, I'm not quite sure where this "higher" is or what character it would take.

Nope . I wouldnt let them 

military men are just dumb stupid animals to be as pawns in foreign policy. Kissinger 1973

Wars are staged for profits power oil twisted entertainment

International bankers fund both sides with money and weapons

If your smart you won't enlist or you will get out of it

Soldiers die and suffer and are tortured for nothing nothing is gained from it

War is a racket 1935 smitley Butler

"fols"

"cange"

"goos"

I'm seriously imprest, Private Snowball!  Your almost in line to join the military accept you mist the common misspelling of collage.  That might permanently diskoalify you for military service.

• Bill-M

No, I would not be happy. I would encourage him to join the Navy.

Yes service to your country should be applauded not frowned upon.

My mother was against me being conscripted into the Army in 1965 she did everything she could to get me deferred, My father died 10 years after ww2 from wounds he had received fighting the Japanese and she didn't want me to go as she knew i'd be going to Vietnam.

On the day we left for Vietnam she told me how proud of me she was and how proud my dad would have been.

Parents worry about their children, they don't want to see them put in harms way, but in the end they will support you and be there for you so tell your parents it's your dream and it's what you want to do then do it, if you don't you will go through life wondering if you made the right decision, join the Army.

If my son wanted to join, i'd respect his decision, whether i agreed to it or not.

• Fin

Your folks got to choose their path, careers, etc in life; now that you're old enough you get to choose yours.

There's no wasted opportunities.  In fact, that's somewhat disrespectful to say.  Like your choice for your own future has no value. 

EDIT:  Take a past look at the presidents that spring boarded their political careers with service in the military early on.