What is the best paper craft for a beginner to try doing?

I'm ok with origami, but want to try something different, maybe quilling or paper cutting. 

• drip

Try quilling. My daughter loves it. There are plenty of books in the  library with how to and patterns. This is one is she working on now.

I'm a paper ADDICT, but sadly don't have a lot to show for it.  Never was a scrapper (though I have SO MUCH gorgeous scrapbook paper!)

Most of my fun has been with decoupage and collage.  I'm 10 thumbs (down, HA!) with origami, and never tried quilling, but cutting and tearing is fun and easy.  You can get some interesting effects with layering and paper mosaic.   You can totally change the look of a cheap wood picture frame from Goodwill or a $1 sign from Dollar Tree with 'rippy bits' (my kids called it that) and some Mod Podge.

Some scrapbooking papers are so pretty, you could (and I have) just mount them on a canvas painted in a coordinating color, and hang them on the wall as art.

There's no 'best' for a beginner (or for anyone).  Try whatever you think you'll like.