Hey guys I started golfing at age 23 made the college team became scratch in a year and have won every match so far dropped to a +2 handicap?

You think I can play at a D1 level if I graduate a year early Uc Davis and others are looking at me you think im good enough and maybe become pro later?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Try the US Open Qualifications and get into the tourney.    If you can get into the US Open and play decently, you got what it takes to play as a pro.... IT IS OPEN TO ALL 2 Handicap golfers......

Thats the only way to test yourself....

• No.  Touring pros have decades of experience and typically dominate as amateurs before turning pro.  They're also comfortable playing 72-hole events.  There are hundreds of guys like you who take the game up and think you can turn pro.  You can't.  Here's why:

1) It's UC Davis, not Uc Davis.  Most people who attend the school can get these details correct.

2) A perusal of the UC Davis golf team shows a lot of freshmen and one Junior.  No guys in their mid-20's.  Which means you're either lying about your age, being on the team, or something else.  

3) Let's do some math.  There are currently just over 290 NCAA D-1 schools that have men's golf teams.  For golf purposes UC Davis is a D-1 school, which, if you were on the golf team, you'd know.  With five players on a team, this means around 1-2 players per team, on average, matriculate.  We'll round and say 300.  That's 300 elite amateurs every year looking for a place to play professionally.  All of whom are good players.  

4) Schools often have tryouts.  Again, if you were there and were engaged with the golf program, you'd know this.  You'd have had contact and/or discussions with the coach about a tryout date/time.  

5) Let's pretend for giggles that half those players who graduated decide pro golf isn't for them.  That's still 150 players looking for a place to play, and trying to find a place on some kind of mini-tour or developmental tour.  Most of whom HAVE experience playing 72-hole strokeplay events.  

6) Every year tournaments on the Korn Ferry or tours below that will give a sponsor invite to a pro athlete in another sport as a way to generate publicity (Tony Romo, Steph Curry, and John Smoltz are examples).  Inevitably, these athletes (who all carry plus-handicaps) end up getting pummeled.  John Smoltz (who at the time had a +3.2 index) finished 38 strokes behind the leader and 28 strokes from making the cut at an event in 2010.  

7) You also need money to play mini-tour/developmental tour events (entry fees are staggering and typically you'll need to finish in the top-10 to make money).  Offhand, you'd need $60-$100K to play a full season.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.