Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

is Trump really going to have an impeachment trial AFTER he leaves office? how it is possible?

and i read that Kamala Harris is likely to head the impeachment trial? wtf? how bout Rudy Giuliani? is he not going to be Trump's lawyer anymore ? why? no pay? argument with Trump? why?

Update:

i read that he would not pay Rudy? is that true? why there was an argument maybe? will Rudy be tried for Treason too?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There is one prior case in the U.S. of the trial occurring after the person left office.  A cabinet secretary during the Grant Administration resigned just prior to the House voting on impeachment. There were also two judges who resigned between the impeachment resolution and the trial.  In addition, around the time of the framing, there was an impeachment trial in the U.K. for a former colonial governor. Because the potential penalties include disqualification from holding office again, impeachment does not become moot when the person leaves office.  

As far as Vice-President Harris presiding, impeachment trials are normally presided over by the presiding officer of the Senate (either the Vice-President or the President Pro Tempore of the Senate).  There is an exception for the trial of the president which is presided over by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  It is unclear if that clause applies to a former President.  

It appears that President Trump -- as his history -- is declining to pay Rudy for past services.  There is also apparently some fear that Rudy was intending to present a justification defense (that the election was allegedly stolen).  Since most Republican Senators know that the election was not stolen, such a defense would increase the likelihood that Trump would be convicted.    

Rudy will not be tried for treason because the legal definition of treason is very narrow (involving supporting a foreign adversary who is at war with the U.S.) but there are other charges that may be coming.  

• 1 month ago

I'm not from USA but on what evendince the last 2 impeachment only went though cause the dems had more seats an rudi ask for trail by combat but they pull out as any one would that knew they were wrong

Rudy will love to be tried he would win they wouldn't even dare go against him he the only one to take mafia on an win an to be alive even the government still deals with mafia an other corrupt organisations 

• 1 month ago

So say the commie dems... they seem to have nothing else to do but go after Trump.  Sure shows just how hateful they are and how afraid of him they are!

• 1 month ago

He's going to be banned from ever running again, not that he even could from his jail cell

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

u can think whatever u want ... he's already impeached (bipartisan) + the trial is forthcoming... if he loses, the vote will be taken to make him ineligible to run again which would only require the senate plurality ... learn grasshopper

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's just political theater.  Impeachment has never been tried before in the US on someone who's out of office, so it's an open question whether it's even possible (I suspect the Supreme Court will eventually have to weigh in).

Once Trump is out of office, he can be charged for whatever crime(s) the Democrats think he's committed.  Of course, crimes have to be proven in a court of law and I suspect the Democrats know they can't make unsupported accusations in a courtroom (not if they want to get a conviction, anyway).

Harris would not likely have role in an impeachment trial (the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court presides over Presidential impeachments, but again, Trump won't be President, so who knows).  Vice-Presidents only get to vote in the Senate when there's a tie, but impeachments require a two-thirds majority, so she wouldn't get a vote either.

Finally, a Senate impeachment trial would only take attention away from the new Biden administration and whatever agenda they want to accomplish.  I can't see how that would be good for Democrats, but maybe they really don't have anything else to talk about.

I suspect the Democrats will eventually drop it and move on to other things.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, the impeachment trial will happen after Trump leaves office.  The legal precedent on this is pretty clear that an official can be impeached after they leave office.  Of course, it's mostly a ceremonial rebuke at that point, since the main impact of impeachment is to remove someone from office and they're already out of office.  But by impeaching Trump they then open up the possibility, by a simple majority vote, of barring him from every holding office again. 

As for Kamala Harris, she will not head the impeachment trial.  The VP plays no role in the trial.  It is presided over by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. 

Rudy is not going to be Trump's lawyer.  I heard that Trump had refused to pay him, but I don't know if that's true.  What Giuliani has said is that since he spoke at the "Stop the Steal" rally which preceded the insurrection, that he might be a witness at the impeachment trial and so it's therefor not appropriate for him to also be defense counsel 

• 1 month ago

Dems are trying to be sure that he doesn't run for President in 2024.  The person doing the impeaching would not be his personal lawyer.  The outcome of an impeachment which is successful is removal from office.  Since Trump is removing himself from office in about 21 hours this is pure BS. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's so he can never run for office again

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. Watch and see how.

• 1 month ago

To make sure he can never hold public office again. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.