Can Antibiotic capsule powder be taken with spoon, instead of swallowing pill?

Im not very good at swallowing pill specially a capsule 💊(penicillin 500mg), so ive been taking them by taking out the powder onto a spoon and putting a bit of water on it and putting it in my mouth and drinking water to push it down, is that ok?

Favorite Answer

usually not

The whole point of a capsule is to protect the antibiotic against the acidity in your stomach. Without the capsule, the antibiotic would be broken down before even entering the intestine, and the resulting product would not work!

I know capsules take some work, but if you stick out your tongue, place the capsule on the back of it and then take a good gulp of water, you can do it.

• Ace

many antibiotics do come in liquid form such as amoxicillin while others come in chewable form for children, or you can go to a compounding pharmacist, and ask if they can make an antibiotic solution if they can then hand the prescription to the pharmacist and they can call the doctor and then make a liquid form for you, there is alot you can do. , 

Dunno about powder, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of it being giving in liquid form. 

Source(s): My cousin had the same trouble as you.

You need to check the patient information leaflet or call a pharmacy to find out. Some medications get destroyed by your stomach acid if you remove the powder from the capsules. Penicillin does come in liquid form so ask the doctor for that in future or now if you find out that you shouldn't split your current capsules.

''You shouldn't chew, crush or break tablets or pills, or open and empty powder out of capsules, unless your GP or another healthcare professional has told you to do so. Some tablets, pills and capsules don't work properly or may be harmful if they're crushed or opened.'' https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicin...

Probably. But what you should do is ask someone that would KNOW. Pick up the phone, and call your local CVS or Walgreens, and ask to speak with the pharmacist. Then say, "hi, I just have a quick question for you about a medication....". A pharmacist is the proper expert to ask, and I promise you they won't mind answering.