Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 month ago

Would you play PS1 games on an android emulator?

you can find here https://torrentgames.ru/

no..................

• garry

would by a ps1 for $20 , why emulate it ..can even get a ps1 in the junk .

If there ain't a real PS1 console there with the CD games - then feck y'all  ^_^

lol

i MUST have the console and the real controller and the game on its real media.

N64 emulators....PS2 Emulators...Commodore Amiga emulators....Atari ST emulators...Amstrad CPC 464 Emulators....they're all gay.

the best way to enjoy old school retro gaming is to have the real thing there.

Same with Spectrum ZX Sinclair, James Bond Pack.   Need the the actual keyboard and gun.

not really a fan of emulators sorry.

I use 2 when I had a android and broke

I doubt you could. I have a PSX Emulator.

I tried but i don't enjoy the control changes

I'm assuming you're asking about playing PS1 games on an emulator IN Android (or on an Android device)...

Unfortunately, the PS1 is where I draw the "technical line" with emulators as games & consoles before that era (excluding GBA) are mostly in 2D (so lower technical demands) & have small ROM files.  PS1 ISO's (the equivalence of ROM files) run around 700 MB (0.7 GB) PER GAME DISC in an unscrubbed state (you can find "scrubbed" ISO's, that remove all the garbage data on a disc to reduce it's size) & there's some games that run on MULTIPLE DISCS.

Just using Final Fantasy VII as an example, that game is 3 discs long...  so it would take ~2.1 GB's (for reference, the Switch version is ~3.8 GB's & PC / Steam version is ~1.43 GB's).  By this fact alone, your PS1 library is going to be very limited on your phone unless you have a flagship grade phone (like Samsung Galaxy S 20), You'll need a large microSDXC card to hold those ISO's (10 ISO's = ~7 GB's...  so a 64 GB card could theoretically hold 90 PS1 discs).

Next issue is the technical demands, as many PS1 games are in 3D... so you will need at least a mid-range or a high-end / flagship grade phone to handle the necessary number crunching with playable framerates ("optimal" being 60+ FPS, "playable" being 30+ fps & "tolerable" is 15+ fps...  "unplayable" is anything UNDER 15 fps).  The low-end / budget phones need not apply here unless you enjoy playing a virtual slide show (as you'll likely have a framerate of 1... just 1, as your phone or emulator would likely freeze up or crash when getting to the 2nd frame).

I know there's various Android tablets as well, but they seem to fall to the wayside in terms of specs with most manufacturers in favor of phones.  Lenovo & Samsung tend to run the spectrum & the Samsung Tab S series (their high-end, signature series...  NOT the Tab A series, which is their budget series) are likely to handle PS1 games without having a digital heart attack.

Finally, there's the legal issue of the system BIOS...  the emulator developers are unable to properly emulate this piece of hardware code from the console & have to obtain this from a console itself.  The BIOS file contains copyrighted code from the manufacturer & therefore is illegal for the emulator developers to include it.  Cartridge-based consoles typically don't have a BIOS or upgradeable firmware (GBA, N64 & older), so they can properly emulate the hardware with minimal issues.

If the game ISO's were more reasonably sized & weren't technically demanding on portable hardware, I would seriously considering doing so.

If you enjoy them still, why not? 

My phone is a portable emulation device with a boatload of emulators for various older consoles. Of course, a gamepad is a 100% necessity, since on-screen controls are garbage for most retro games.

My personal favorite PS1 emulator for Android is Duckstation, but epsxe is also great and can run fine even on low end phones

All ps1 games can be converted into .chd format, which reduces the files size of the average disc image by 30-40% with no effect on quality... Though epsxe doesn't work with .chd

You can upscale the graphics in most ps1 emulators to look MUCH better than they ever did on a real ps1. 

It also doesn't take a super expensive phone or tablet to run them. I have a midrange $300 phone, and have no trouble whatsoever with running them at full speed. I've even tried running psx games on a $35 Amazon tablet, and still had no problem running every game at full speed. 

That sounds redundant.  Why not just use the PS1 emulator directly vs. emulating an android to emulate the PS1?