Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Is the Washington football team going to come up with a different name?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

So, the fanbase actually responded pretty positively to the logoless numbered helmets and such.  Snyder, always an idiot, hinted that if the season and name went well, maybe 'Football Team' could stick around permanently.  I sincerely hope that is not the case, but with this owner, anything is possible.  He's that dumb.

WTF was a temporary placeholder to give the team time to come up with a permanent name.  There's a bunch that were making the rounds.  But they have to secure the IP, and do all the other little things that goes into a team really launching a new name.  This is usually a multi-year process for a team.  

Warriors was one Snyder liked, and had the IP rights to for awhile, but he let them lapse and an IP troll gobbled them up.  Warriors is a bad idea though because it's still fundamentally native american oriented, opening them up to just going through this same B.S. again.

Red Wolves is one that is popular with the millenials.  There is an endangered Coyote sized wolf who historical range included the mid-atlantic (not anymore) called the Red Wolf.

There are a variety of Hog-pased nicknames that are somwhat popular because of the team's OL nickname from the 80s and it's enduring popularity.  Personally, I think "Pigskins" would be excellent because it's the same number of syllables and we can keep using the 'Skins' nickname.  And since it's football specific and evocative of hogs it really applies.

Of the ones that have polled well, RedTails is my favorite.  It's military oriented, which Snyder reportedly would like, it's base on an African American fighter squad from WW2 that was one of the best in the war.  They were beloved by bomber crews because unlike most, they would stick with the bombers all the way to their targets AND BACK.  They wouldn't bail and chase kills or turn back early like most.  The problem is the RedTails were actually based in Tuskeegee, Alabama.  Nowhere near Washington.  So it's kind of a nonsensical choice in terms of locale.

• 1 month ago

I really hope so. Most people don't like saying "football team" and revert to the original name. 

• Joey
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Should be called Washington Politicians and each helmet has the face of a different politician.

• 1 month ago

Kina like the name they have now i'd keep it another year at least .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, they will be choosing another name in the off season

• 1 month ago

Eventually they will settle on a name they can get the rights to. Part of the problem is that with the controversy, many people preregistered trademarks on names they thought likely for the team in hopes of the team paying for the rights to the name.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They want a new stadium and they are told that they have to change their name before they can get the new stadium, so they are doing a lot of thinking to find a new name that does not offend. Perhaps they will call themselves the Washington Liberals. who knows. 

• Nick
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I hope not. I like the minimalism.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, eventually.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe they will some time in the future.  They don't seem to be in much of a hurry to come up with a new name.  They seemed to be more interested in getting a new General Manager.   They might wait until after the Super Bowl to make a decision, they could hold a fan poll in the summer to come up with a new name.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.