What is the best AC Brand to use at Home? ?

General electrics or panasonic , both are very reliable.

Installer of my new system, who has 20+ years experience and used to be self-employed in the business himself, told me that there are only two makers of the compressor and that's the part most likely to fail. 

I think the best brand of ac Hitachi air conditioner it is cheap budget and good service, 

get a used old dog from a thrift- resale shop whirlpool GE,sunbeam,,use sheets of oiled  or paint primed masonite and duct tape to seal edges cutting them to fit in the storm slots,make sure the unit pitches a few degrees to the outside,if you have an outside storm window,bottom ought to have weep holes so water drips away  and down outside too,used ACs can sell for 20 bucks

• garry

general electrics or panasonic , both are very reliable .

All the AC brands are the same. You need to buy the right sized air conditioner for your home to get the maximum comfort. 

installer of my new system, who has 20+ years experience and used to be self-employed in the business himself, told me that there are only two makers of the compressor -- and that's the part most likely to fail.  read the warranty ... the compressor is covered ONLY by the actual maker's warranty, not by the name plate on the unit.  There are four or five makers of the rest of the stuff ... and for some of them, the parts are the same across several brands.  Get at least three bids and mind the brand they propose to install ... the business is quite competitive and you may be able to play company A off against company B and C.  -- grampa

• y

They are all basically the same with each individual, installer,  service techs having their flavor of the year. 

• elhigh

I've long been a fan of Rheem but some of the bloom is off that particular rose in my opinion.  It's not any one thing and nothing that would knock them out of consideration.  I replaced my own home unit five years ago; it's a Rheem PTHP and I've been pretty satisfied with it.

They're all pretty good anymore.  Up until about ten years ago I would have told you any money you spent on Goodman or Janitrol was effectively wasted, but even that isn't the case and they're all pretty reliable.

If you're shopping for a new unit, strongly consider upgrading to a variable refrigerant flow (VRF) system that can ramp up and down as necessary.  This will allow your new HVAC to get your home to your setpoint, then turn way down and just tick along at the necessary rate to keep your place comfortable without kicking on, overheating or overcooling, turning off and letting the temperature drift.  It's way more efficient and a LOT quieter.

Source(s): I'm a pro handyman and HVAC tech.

The best total package is Lennox.  It is more expensive because they put more into it.  Except other brands may have superior individual components.   ACs are very engineered and predictable products, with a long history of performance and repair.  So, the quality should be proportional to the price.  What you want to watch for is getting a fair price for what you buy.  You get that by having a reliable air conditioner contractor.  Long term, that you can call.  Think of it as your doctor.  Get your old unit serviced and establish a relationship.