What is useful for a washing machine?

to me its a sale gimmick the higher the spin speed the more stresses are subjected to your components particularly the bearings which will shorten the life it would be better to spin at a lower speed but for a longer time which will provide the same effect as spin at 800revs for 5mins is better than spinning at 1400 for 3mins what machines have not developed yet is a means of monitoring the moisture/water removed before ending the spin still based on a time set within their program, towels hold much more water than synthetics and hence need more spin times but the program cant deduce whats polyester or terry towelling, also spin speeds have to take into account the drum diameter the larger the diameter then slower spin speeds can give the same effect

• Vaman

I am here to confuse you. First one must know the sticking power of water to the fiber. Once it is known the one has just calculate mv^2/ = m r w^2=m *sticking coefficient

This gives the condition for the rotation speed w for a drum of radius r. Higher the spinning rate will dry faster. This comes with the cost. Lower spinning rate also comes with time. If time is not a constraint, then calculate the sufficient w to economize the cost effectiveness.

What are you rambling about???????????????????????????????

• Mark

Most of them, but they DO have spec books (downloadable) and that is common.  Tubs/bowls can spin faster if they are all stainless steel, rather than "porcelain on steel".

I'm not sure what your question really is. It is so rambling that I get confused, are you are making a statement or asking a question. I do know this. The question of drum speed and machine life is really not connected. It is the quality of the components and the number of uses that have the biggest impact. 

• qrk

Surface tension must be overcome.

If the machine has dynamic balancing high spin speeds are just fine. Extractors run at very high speeds and reduce drying times up to 50%. It is the dryer which uses the most energy.

The bearings can take it. It is the motors which quit first.

There is an advantage to doing the spinning quicker, it gets the laundry cycle done quicker and the laundry is dryer.  I suspect spinning longer at slower speeds will not get it as dry.  And my 10 year-old washer seems to be doing just fine, the last time I had to replace a washer was for the motor, not the bearings.