If I have friends over for a few drinks and one of them drivers home and gets into an accident and kills someone, am I considered liable ?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Its different from state to state but even if the answer is "yes", the burden of proof is on them. They need to prove you knew he was drunk, you knew he was driving home and you somehow aided his behavior. Its not a  prosecutory slam dunk.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, you are liable because you allowed an intoxicated person to drive, which is against the law.  At least, that's the law in TX.

Source(s): retired Dallas pd
  • 1 month ago

Yes for providing drinks to a intoxicated person.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In some states, yes, you would be liable for a drunk driver's actions, to whom you served alcohol...just like any establishment that serves alcohol (restaurant / bar ).

Howsoever... if that person brought their own alcohol or were under the influence of self administered marijuana and or other drugs... that is not your responsibility.

We had a case here in our town where an underage guy was taking ecstasy while drinking at a bar. The combination of drugs and alcohol killed him. The bar was responsible for serving an underage drinker according to the lawsuit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you knowingly allowed an intoxicated person to drive after having drinks at your home, you can be held legally liable in many jurisdictions.

• 1 month ago

No you are not.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you were providing the drinks and they were visibly impaired, you could be sued. The results of that lawsuit would depend on your jurisdiction and other specific circumstances that you did not provide. 

• 1 month ago

Laws vary everywhere.  You wouldn't be solely liable but you could be held partially liable.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would hope not but i wouldnt have let him drive home

• 1 month ago

You COULD be liable.  If you have a lot of money (or even equity in your home).  It could be worse if the person already has a DUI or is known to be a heavy drinker.  You could become an accessory to manslaughter, which is both criminal AND civil liability.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.