why does my amp go into protect mode when the bass hits?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

My guess is that your wiring and/or your power system (battery/alternator) is inadequate for the amplifier. 

Some people use those fat capacitors to help.  Sometimes they help and sometimes they don't. 

Talk to a local audio expert.

• 1 month ago

Your voltage is dropping  low and not feeding  enough power too the amp if u upgrade  your electrical wires big3 and  alternator  I don't know what kind of subs u got and amp but just cause a amp says 3000 watts doesn't mean it's true Rms power is what u look at so u might need to upgrade your amp 

• Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Basically when you listen to your car 

amp

at high volume levels it 

goes into protection mode

because there is not enough power from the electrical system to chuck at it. ... So its best to to fix your car 

amp

going 

into protection mode

now when the 

bass hits

before it blows out on your.

• 1 month ago

Tell us what amp it is- model number. Tell us what speaker is connected and the enclosure the speaker is using. Tell us if this problem is new or always did it. We can guess many things, and without those facts, guessing is all we can give.

Many of the very knowledgeable old-time members don't hang out here much, discouraged by a troll with several fake accounts who drops multiple thumbs-downs, yet never gives any useful answers. Don't give up. A few still do help those in trouble.

Reduce gain if your amp has that adjustment. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

(1) Before I start, read why capacitors are a waste of money: https://axleaddict.com/cars/Car-Audio-CAPACITORS-W...

(2) Your amplifier owner's manual explains the causes of it going into protection mode. A logical and intelligent person would check there first. If you've lost the manual it's probably a free download from the manufacturer's website. A simple internet keyword search would also tell you why it happens. 

(3) The most common causes of your problem are...

[a] there is insufficient system voltage to keep up with the demand. The power and ground cables could be too small or perhaps you chose a poor grounding spot or have a loose ground wire. 

[b] Sometimes it's because the car's electrical system isn't up to the demand. If the amplifier input voltage drops too much under high demand, the amp will go into protection mode. A weak alternator can allow the batteries to get too low in voltage. Playing a stereo with the engine off can cause the same thing.

[c] If the speaker impedance is lower than the minimum required by the amplifier, the amp will go into protection mode. Since impedance changes with frequency it may not happen until strong, deep bass notes are played. If you have multiple subwoofers, make sure the total impedance is correct for your amp.  If you don't know how to calculate it, then get help by providing full brand and model information about the amp and speakers and how they've been wired.

• James
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Maybe the voltage is too low. Put a multimeter on the battery when you play some music and see if it drops below 12 volts. 

• 1 month ago

why does my amp go into protect mode when the bass hits,I have two batteries in the car i have had a lighting cap it did the same thing so i took it out 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.