Are rich people the only People theses days who can send kids to a university ?

The answer is no.  Millions of students of receive financial aid to go to college.

Not in Australia, there are some reasonable priced Universities

and Participants can always get a Job My Neighbours daughter did a Bartenders course and worked Nights on Good Money to pay her way

Not at all.  In California, where I got my undergraduate degree, the Cal State system costs just under $7,000 a year.  Most families can afford $600 a month for college, but there is also financial aid available for those who cannot.  

80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk to help pay for school and/or living expenses. Plenty of people who earn college degrees have NO support whatsoever from parents & pay everything themselves. They put together scholarships & other financial aid, jobs, etc, to pay all their own way. So, no, most college grads do not come from "rich" families - actually very, very few get it all paid for by family.

• garry

no , i remember 40 years ago been in university and working a job on afternoon shift to pay for my education , why are you too good to work for your degree . rich people can afford to send there kids , poor people cant .You get free basic education , you want advanced you pay for it .

not at all --- student athletes and the very academically gifted usually pay nothing or almost nothing.

• John

• L

There are lots of scholarships, many for lower income families. I found out first-hand that while some are willing to go through the effort, many are unwilling to complete the application for the scholarship. There is money available, but some effort (filling out forms/applications) is needed... otherwise, the money cannot be matched to the unknown person. That's what applications are for.

Example: A couple of years ago, my high schooler worked at a theater (part of a large national chain). Corporate knew that a lot of their employees were in high school and had a college scholarship program. Of the 50 or so high school student who worked at this particular theater, 2 took the time to complete the application. One was my daughter. Both were awarded $7,500 scholarships. That was enough for 1 year tuition at our state university. The other kids said one of two things: (1) "That's not enough for a 4 year school"; (2) "I didn't want to take the time to deal with the paperwork". This was FREE money.

We contacted corporate and thank them for their generosity. It seems this program had been going on for many years and each year there was unused money because their student-employees did not fill out some paperwork. And after all that, our daughter was the ONLY one who had reached out to actually thank them for the money.

There are many, many, many other scholarships available for the price of a completed application... including money available directly from the school to which one has been accepted. But you need to fill out the application. Bonus if you are really smart. Some of these scholarships are very focused (expected course of study, under-represented group, very low income, income not considered - so scholarly implication only, etc.) and some not so much so... like the theater.

Loans, parents pay cash or being rich are not the only way to get a college education funded, but it seems few want to believe that since it does not meet the "poor me" narrative.

No. My family is upper middle class and I attended college. 

• Tavy

No in the U.K., any student can get a loan from the Student Loan company. It is not paid back until they earn a certain amount of salary. Interest free.