Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is giving someone unwanted staring sexual harassment ?

• ?

No. Looking is not illegal or considered sexual harassment.

staring people is not wrong.   Obviously, if the other person likes it, it should be a compliment for them.   BUT if the person whom you stared, kinda felt gross by your face, he or she will tell their mom.....  "look mom an ugly man stared at me, how gross"..... "mom, my old female boss stared at my butt all day.....", so it depends.  

When people stare at me, I stare back until they feel attraction or feel gross.... either way, no legal action!

It shouldn't be, but at the rate we are heading, everything is abuse, everything is harassment, everything is suable. 

I will look wherever I want. Don't like it? Then get OUT of my sight!

I guess the question is in who’s opinion could I say you stared at me boy that’s a slippery slope.

• Foofa

No, it's just rude. 

• Ted K

If the person being stared at feels harassed or intimidated, then by definition, it IS harassment.  Whether it is specifically sexual harassment is not really the point.  Harassment is harassment.

To Anonymous claiming that "...harassment does not occur when someone feels harassed," you are wrong.  Federal law regarding this states that unwanted, non-consensual behavior directed at someone--whether it is of a sexual nature or not--is defined as harassment.  And if the person feeling harassed asks the harasser to stop but they continue, then the legal system becomes involved. 

These policies are strictly enforced in any workplace that receives Federal dollars.  And an increasing number of private employers are starting to incorporate anti-harassment rules under Title IX.

It can be, yes.

it could be if they didnt want you to do that

In 2021 it can be.