Are Russian schools better than Canadian schools academically?

I’m currently and IB student in Canada and have a Russian-raised step mom. Every now and then I’ll tell my family to be quieter so I can study, and that I’m super stressed, but my annoying step mom (who has a photography gig but no job) consistently tells me that what I’m going through is easier than public schools in Russia. So I was wondering if any Russians/experienced people can tell me if she’s exaggerating or I’m just weak. 

in the old days, there were elite schools in Russia for the academically gifted and party officials' children.  I can see that those would be more challenging.

Russian schools are very demanding. But so is IB. You're weak, but your family is uncooperative in providing a suitable environment for studying, and your stepmother is belittling & undermining you. Use noise-cancelling headphones to shut out the noise. And let your stepmother (& your father) know that belittling your efforts is counterproductive. It's not as if stepmom knows diddly about requirements for IB diplomas or serious careers & planning/preparing for them.

"Better" is a very vague word. It depends on what you think the purpose of learning is. Her school may have required great deals of memorization, and the teachers were harder on the kids in terms of emotional support. Even in the early 2000s, schools in the former USSR countries used the approach of embarrassing students by announcing their grades publicly (I know this from one person who studied in the US and changed her university when she went back to her country.) BUT memorized facts are not what people need going into the future. You can Google those. What you need is to be able to read and comprehend information, analyze it, and apply it. That takes a good deal more mental processing, and arguably more mature intellectual abilities. 

• drip

No it is not better in Russia than it is in Canada.

Why would you be weak because IB classes are stressing you? 

Can you study elsewhere? School, library? Even a friends house?  Get some noise cancelling head phones