Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

How much money (USD) do I bring for a trip for two to Japan?

Excluding airfare and hotel accommodations, how much money (USD) should bring for two people?

Update:

I forgot to add it's for a 10-day trip

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Midas
    Lv 4
    6 days ago

So how much for food and transportation. Depends where you go, and how expensive you want to eat. 

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your question is vague, but I can tell you Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world. 

• Ben
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

How much money you will need depends hugely on what you intend to do, what you intend to eat, how you intend to travel (bullet train and taxis are expensive, but if you go everywhere by normal train or subway then it's pretty damn cheap), whether you intend to buy souvenirs, etc.

You could easily get by on as little as 2,000 yen (just less than $20) per person, per day. I certainly did. Alternatively, it could cost you 5, 6 or even 7 thousand.

Also, regardless of how much you intend to spend, I strongly recommend you do not take USD with you to exchange there, nor should you exchange yen in the US and take that. Money changers on either end take a fat cut, and you end up with a very poor exchange rate, not to mention carrying all that cash is risky (it could get lost or stolen).

Far better to take enough yen to last you a couple days, then withdraw cash from an ATM using your debit card once you are there. You will get a much cheaper rate that way, even factoring in bank fees on foreign currency (unless your bank has really extortionate fees; best to check before you go, just in case). 

Post Office bank and 7/11 Bank ATMs all accept foreign cards, and have English language options. Be sure your debit card uses a 4-digit pin. 5-digit pin and sign-only cards are not accepted anywhere in Japan (nor, indeed, in most of the world outside of North America). And be sure the card is Visa or MasterCard.

• 1 month ago

That depends a hot on how long you plan to be there and what you want to see/do/eat. On average, you should count on around $130 per day for two people.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hihi!
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Plan on meals, sights, entertainment costing 3 times what you pay in USA. I have not been there, but developed countries in Europe seem to be pricy in such a way. 

Also, French banks like clean, untorn USD to exchange. Same in Russia. No writing or rubber stamp marks.

If your personal bank provides a debit card, find out if the BANK'S ATM fees will apply. Our credit union allows ATM transactions with no fee. Amstrdam ATM did charge 3 Euro per transaction. If you exchange in the airport, they sorta rob you in most countries... so we simply take cash upon arrival. So, IF you can ATM your cash, carry some $500 as a cushion in case you need USD to exchange.

For tourist attractions, Google "Tokyo Theatre" (as an exampleonly... it may not exist!!, and if it does, you may not care to go😁) and see what are ticket prices.

EDIT:

Tickets typically cost around 2,000 yen for a single act or between 3,000 and 25,000 yen for an entire segment depending on the seat quality. ($30-250) not too expensive...

• 2 months ago

i would just get it from the bank there if you need it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.