Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 month ago

When is Blood Pressure dangerously low. No symptoms. ?

so I know below 90/60 is low but something people have naturally low blood pressure (which I think I have) but when does it get to the point of worry. Mine is 75/55. I have no symptoms (dizzy, light headedness/nausea)

I'm only 24 thanks 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Low blood pressure (hypotension) is blood pressure low enough to cause symptoms such as dizziness or fainting.

Three factors help determine blood pressure; the amount of blood pumped from the heart. the volume of blood in the blood vessels, and the capacity of blood vessels.

The more blood pumped from the heart (cardiac or heart output) per minute the higher the blood pressure. The amount of blood pumped may be reduced if the heart beats slower or its contractions are weakened, as many happen after a heart attack (myocardial infraction). An extremely rapid heartbeat, which can reduce the efficiency of the heart's pumping action, may also reduce the cardiac output, as many other types of abnormal heart rhythms.

The more blood in the circulation, the higher the blood pressure. A loss of blood from dehydration or bleeding can reduce the blood volume and decrease the blood pressure. The smaller the capacity of the blood vessels, the higher the blood pressure. So widening the blood vessels makes the blood pressure fall, and constricting them makes the blood pressure rise.

Sensors, particularly those in the neck and chest, constantly monitor the blood pressure. When they detect a change by one of these three factors, the sensors trigger a change in one of the other factors to compensate and so maintain a steady blood pressure. Nerves carry signals from these sensors and from brain centers to several key organs.

The heart, to modify the rate and strengh  of heartbeats( this changing the amount of blood pumped).

The kidneys, to regulate the excretion of water(this changes the volume of blood in circulation).

The blood vessels to cause constriction or dilation ( changing the capacity of the blood vessels).

Therefore, if the blood vessels dilate, which tends to reduce blood pressure, sensors immediately send signals through the brain and to the heart to increase the heart rate, which increases the heart's output of blood. As a result, blood pressure changes little, if at all...

These compensatory mechanisms have limitations, however,,,, For example, when a person bleeds, the heart rate increases, increasing the heart's output, and the blood vessels contract, reducing the capacity of the blood vessels. Nevertheless, if the person loses a lot of blood quickly, the compensatory mechanisms are insufficient, and blood pressure falls.

Low blood pressure also may result from a malfunction in the mechanisms that maintains blood pressure,,,,,For instance, if the ability of the nerves to conduct signals is impaired by any disease, the compensatory control mechanisms may not function properly.

For most normal range is 120/80 (give or take a bit either way)

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Actually, below 100/60 is clinically hyotension.  But you are correct, some folks defy the rules & live down in the bottom numbers; however 75/55 sounds a tad or so low even for them.  Are you sure you are getting accurate readings?  Dehydration is a common cause of hypotension, but if you are asymtomatic, maybe you are just an exception to the rules. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.