Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Car runs hot but isn't overheating.?

Hello, I have a 2014 dodge charger with a 5.7 hemi. I had just replaced the head gaskets, camshaft and lifters on the engine. it ran great on the test drive, and the temperature stayed perfect the whole time. The next day i drove it for about 30 miles then i heard my belt sequel, and i checked under the hood to see that my upper radiator hose had fallen off. I'm guessing it squealed because coolant had soaked it. I re clamped the hose and went home and noticed the heat had stopped working. After getting home, i refilled the cooling system and bled the cooling system and took it out on another drive, after warming up, the heat stopped working and the car began to run hot but did not overheat. so far i have checked all my hoses, and they all are on tight and are in good condition, i also checked the thermostat and there wasn't any issues with that. I have also bled the system multiple times, but it still runs hot and the heat only works for like 5 minutes. Lastly, I've noticed that the coolant overflow tank gets filled with coolant when the car is on, and the level will only drop if i remove the bleeder screw from the engine. There are no signs of a head gasket failure, oil is not milky, but i will be doing a compression test tomorrow to verify that. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am not a mechanic, but i have enough experience working on my own cars. To conclude, everything was perfect until that radiator hose blew off. 

On the off chance that you find that you have a vehicle running hot yet not overheating there may be a couple of reasons: Clogged or harmed radiator. Low coolant level. Harmed water siphon or indoor regulator.

• hart

crack in cylinder head

do you job again with new cylinder head

• W

Does the belt drive the water pump or are they electric fans? Try the Finnigen pins. If they haven't been tightened properly with a left-handed torque wrench, they can cause vapor lock.

Cool, do you have a question?

• Rick

check the O2 sensors in the exhaust system .................

Are you looking at an actual gauge (with numbers) when you say its running hot, or do you mean it on the "hot side" of the temperature range on a gauge? I'm agreeing with The Bax2006...I think you have air trapped. Surely when they had the top end of your engine off, they replaced your water pump and thermostat assembly, right? Your hose "fell off" ? It wasn't clamped? The clamp was on the hose, just not in the proper location? It was a factory "spring" clamp right, not an adjustable hose clamp? How are you checking the thermostat? You know for sure its opening completely? I just had to replace one that was sticking...just say'in...What happened to roach the top end to begin with?

Running hot IS overheating.

Pouring cold water in an overheated engine without it running will crack the cylinder head. Slowly filling the radiator with the engine running is a safer way to do it, but no heat from the heater means that it is not filling with coolant- the cooling system is not filled. Yeah, start diagnosing for blown head gasket/cracked head. The death execution probably was carried out driving the hot engine after the hose blew off, losing coolant. Air in the system allowed boiling and steam pockets and damage.

So you blew all the coolant out of the motor and then drove home?!  Find a vacuum fill tool such as an "Airlift" brand vacuum fill tool for the coolant and use it to make sure all the air pockets are out of the cooling system. Better hope that's it or else you overheated the motor driving without coolant and ruined your new head gaskets.

Sounds like air pockets trapped in the coolant system. That usually works out as you run it, and then fill the coolant.