Would my graphics card get damaged if its temperature increases up to 90 Celsius degrees?

My graphics card temperature rises up to 90 Celsius degrees when I play a particular game ( It doesn't happen with other games I have intalled in my desktop ).

It is just the graphics card that rises up to 90 C°. Everything is fine with both the processor and the motherboard temperatures.

• Lv 7

90⁰ C is too hot for ANY processing chip to get, even GPU.

if it is getting that warm, then you need better cooling, or airflow inside your PC.

Heat is the card killer.  At 90 Celsius, you run into a serious threat of melting some of the plastic sealant coatings on the card.  That melted sealant can drip down to other parts of the circuit and impair connectivity.  Check the specifications for the card.  If it says it can operation at 90 Celsius, then OK.  If it says you must use a lower number, they said that for a reason.

hey tough guy,

Not right away but over time the higher temps will damage and kill the GPU. Give it a year or two, it will die. I've seen this plenty of times with certain AMD cards like the Vega series that run at temps that are way beyond specs. The people out there trying to sell their DEAD Vega cards are a dime a dozen. With these cards you have to use a program like MSI Afterburner to decrease the voltage, possibly decrease the power limit, and raise the fan speeds. 

Sometimes repasting the GPU core chip and cleaning the heatsink will help drop the temperatures of the GPU.

Generally a safe temperature for a GPU is the lower 80's. Sure these cards will throttle at 95c, 100c, 110c, etc but cards like this won't last long. Many Nvidia cards will throttle at 83c-85c and you don't see too many dead Nvidia cards that are only 2 or 3 years old.

Nah most will handle 100C or more and throttle themselves or cause a shutdown in a worst case if it overheats. Desktop that temperature is fine, laptop maybe not.

Most can handle, up to 107C.

the general answer is it's not a problem.  it will shut down if it approaches the design limit.  To help this, consider adding extra air flow through the box, taking care to keep the total CFM of all exhaust fans higher than the CFM of intake fans.  Something I did [my box made possible] -- I have a 140mm fan mounted on the side wall of the box that blows fresh air [intake] directly onto the gpu card -- obviously, you can't do this if your box doesn't have side vent.  -- grampa