Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 month ago

What are my rights?

I was hired on 2/2016 by a company .***One***  as an IT Coordinator. Since I was hired the ex CEO of the company had me do IT work for two other companies that he managed by making me think they were all one big company. We found out November of last year when he decided to leave the company that the two other companies - 2 and 3 were never a part of company 1. He left company 1 to focus on 2 and 3. New owners of company 1 gave me a promotion and pay raise to stay with them but they said they couldn't help with 2 or 3 because they weren't aware that he was doing that. Can I still get pay for the work I did for 2 and 3 or is it too late because he doesn't work there anymore?

Hourly. CEO got fired for using funds from first company to pay for things he needed for company 2 and 3. I did work for company 2 and 3 from 2/2016 till 10/2020. 

When hired i was hourly. I became salary November of last year when the new owners took over. 

The company I work for has 6 clinics in Los Angeles. I manage all IT for all 6 plus corporate. The EX CEO also had his own practice in Hawaii and another company in LA. He had me do IT work for Hawaii and the 3rd company, during work hours and after hours. He had everyone at the corporate office doing free work for him for both companies. 

Got hired to work for company 1 and do work for company one. i get paid by company 1.  ceo would manage company 1 and two companies that he owned 2 and 3. he got fired november of last year because the owners found out he was using money from company 1 to pay for things he needed for company 2 and 3. he would have people from the corporate office do work for him without the owners of company 1 knowing about it. 

• Jay

How many hours have you not been paid for?

Do the companies still exist?

Have you EVER received payment for the other companies?

If you have more than 10 unpaid hours, and the companies exist, AND they have a record of paying you for your work in the past, then you may hire an employment lawyer and sue the for unpaid wages.

Please note that this will cost you a minimum of 20 hours of the lawyer's time and that time usually bills at $95.00 to $350.00 per hour, so  if they owe you less than 10 hours it is REALLY not going to be worth it for you to continue this.

Just refuse to do work for any company/business that is not paying you.

You worked for 4 years and didn't get your correct hours?  No one believes this.

It sounds like company 1 paid you for your time with 2 or 3.

• Eva

You can't get pay from #1 since it's new owners and they didn't have anything to do with the situation. You could conceivably go after 2 & 3 since you were performing work for them without being paid. You could file a complaint with your state's labor dept. if it's still within a time frame that they would investigate. You'd better have some documentation to back up your claim.   I take it you were on salary instead of hourly.

I find it hard to believe you worked for four years without being paid. 

What specifically did you not receive pay for?

You said you are an hourly employee. 

Can you show a discrepancy between hours clocked in and hours paid?

Are you on salary or hourly?  If salary, then you got paid.

How far back are you looking to get paid?  Back to 2016 or just a couple months?  Is it worth a lawsuit?  You could look at going after Company 1 & the prior owner directly.  Company 1 contracted you to do work.  The fact it was for a third party isn't really relevant.

pretty sure he wasn't hired to do work for 3 companies. 

you have the right to sit down and shut up. Nobody promised you 3 paychecks.