Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

In which tense should I write my story?

So I'm writing story but need help with regards to in which tense to write. Here are two examples.....

1. "None of them SEEMED to have any further questions to ask until one man comes forward and ASKS, 'What will happen to all of us?' "

2. "None of them SEEMS to have any further questions to ask until one man comes forward and ASKS, 'What will happen to all of us?' "

I want to write in the present tense, but in order to do that, will I have to remove the word "seemed" and make it also in the present tense? 

Any help is most appreciated. 

• ?

Narratives are often written in the present tense, to draw the reader in. But you have to be consistent. In your first sentence, you have one past tense and two present tenses.

• ?

Using the "and" in the "and asks"  is something I must catch myself doing all the time.....just use "asking" that way you can use "seem" instead of "seems" and the "comes" to "came"  to be in present tense .....in writing English, one must follow this rule....A start, a middle and a ending in each sentence, paragraph, chapter and the whole story........an editor said he sends back 70% of the work sent to him after reading 15 pages because they have having no start....But your sentence must fit the rest of the story in the tense setting.....and being in the right tense is my enemy.....but if it reads good to the reader i say it is in the right tense.....  

#1 is grammatically correct except asks is in caps.

The sentence is also poorly thought out.

One man stepped forward from the crowd and asked "What will happen to us?"

You can add any descriptor you want to the crowd or the man to enhance it 

One angry man.  One stalwart man.  One meek man.

The confused crowd.  The frightened crowd.  The angry crowd.