Are cars more reliable now, or do they just not make them the way the used to? ?

Are cars more reliable now, or do they just not make them the way the used to? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 days ago

Automotive locksmith in Detroit https://locksmithindetroit.com/

• L
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

They just don't make them like they used to.  The older cars, prior to the 1970's, had nothing in them that used electronics.  The older cars were also easier to work on and maintain.

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cars are way higher quality than even  30 years ago. Why do you think cars from the 30s. -60s are worth a lot of money? Because they are rare. They were rust buckets underpowered and  fell apart.

Cars were junk at. 3 years old in the 70s.

Electronics have revolutionised reliability. Old electrical systems used to be a nightmare on a cold damp morning., nowadays, unless the battery is old, cars start first time.

Paint and  rust proofing gas also improved beyond all recognition . 

They are also much safer and much more economical.

Anyone saying they don’t make them like they used to , should be made to drive a 1973 Austin Allegro or Morris Marina around for a month .( in beige)

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cars are much better  - the cleaner combustion keeps engines running better and longer with better power and fuel mileage. The maintenance requirements are virtually nil for 100k miles with a dozen oil changes (compared 30 oil changes) and filter changes. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have not seen a broken car on the road in a long time.  There were plenty when I was younger.

• 1 month ago

Cars last an average of 11 years, imagine an 11 year old Vega. I would say absolutely they do not make them the way they used to.

• 1 month ago

Cars have always been as reliable as manufacturers could produce. Cars are just more complicated now because of emission standards.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Generally speaking today's cars are more reliable than those of years ago.

However as they are more complex they often cost more to repair. It's a trade off.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.