Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Satin vs semi gloss?

So my husband asked me to go to Lowe’s to get some paint. I got the right color but I grabbed satin instead of semi gloss. If we have one wall already painted semi gloss, would it be noticeable to make one satin?

Most times you can return it for the right sheen.  Mind you the only rooms that get painted with semi gloss should be the kitchen or the bathroom.  Because you will wipe these walls down the most and semigloss is harder so it can handle multiple washings.  The other rooms of the house all should be satin as that hides imperfections in the wall so it looks flat and perfect.  I have walls I have never wiped in 40 years.(because NO ONE TOUCHES THEM with dirty hands) Semi gloss is also used on the doors or go high gloss.

The change in sheen is like a change in color.

In the event that it is an off the rack tone, simply bring it back. Simpler than painting it over in the event that it looks terrible.

roughly equal

mdovjivhji

It seems they'd be alike but with different names. Satin may be more on the line of flat and not nice to clean.

Yes, but if you do all the other walls gloss you would get away with it. 

No one will even notice the difference unless you point it out to them.

Walls should not be painted in a semi-gloss finish as that semi-gloss is mostly used for trim work and floors.

Satin is the way to go for walls.

• ?

If he makes a clean cut at the corners there is little chance of seeing the difference you can just about use one shade difference if the paint is properly cut at the corners and it is not noticable. But lowes takes back mixed paints so really up to you - 

If it is an off the shelf color, just return it. Easier than painting it over if it looks bad.

Satan should lose Vs everything. When Jesus comes you'll see, even atheists.

I would say so.  The difference between 'silk' and 'satin' is the variation in the % sheen of the surface. I think it would be obvious in adjacent large areas, more so than slight difference in color.