Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Is being a atheist depressing?

I would think you should hold out hope a good caring god exists! a god that will forgive atheists too!

Favorite Answer

Is it depressing to not believe in unicorns?

Is it depressing to not believe in Father Christmas?

Of course not.

There is as much evidence for gods as there is for unicorns or Father Christmas.

This atheist does not seek forgiveness. The burden of guilt helps to prevent me doing that wrong act again.

Atheism does not offer the comfort blanket of religion, but that is the price of maintaining my integrity if I honestly do not believe gods are real. I will not lie and pretend I do believe. What purpose would it serve?

The god I'm most familiar with is the one from the Bible, and I couldn't be happier that murderous psycho only imaginary.  

I'd be *very* depressed if I thought that fiend actually existed.

Not at all.  When I was a Christian, I spent every moment worrying that God would judge my actions and thoughts.  I felt unloved, worthless, and thought I was not of any value.

Once I realized the truth (that there is no proof God exists) I felt suddenly light and happy and valued. 

I could give money to a charity without worrying about if it was a "Christian" cause. 

I could spend Sunday mornings helping my neighbor or someone else without feeling guilty that I was not in church.

I could decide for myself what causes I believed in.

• James

I don't speak for all atheists, but personally I find it depressing. You would be depressed too if you were constantly badgered by Bible thumping idiots.

• Misty

Not at all, life in the real world is full of wonder.

• Bryce

I am a healthy, happy, well-off atheist.  I have known many poor young Christians to die miserable, horrible deaths.

• Seph

No its liberating, and makes me realise life is all the more precious and live each day in a way I never did when i was a theist.

I'm a Christian but I don't think it would be depressing for atheists. 

Depression is living in the past, so why would they want to do that? Most Christians I've known are either depressed or anxious. Neither is a happy way to be. Religion is the study of God's Spiritual Laws. Science is the study of God's Natural Laws. It's all God Stuff. You cannot see God - you can only see what God does.  Definition of STUDY: effort to acquire knowledge, as by reading, observation, or research (testing). It doesn't bother God one iota if someone doesn't believe, God is still perfectly satisfied and available if they change their mind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGn-4yZFalY

Youtube thumbnail

There is nothing depressing in not believing in a homicidal, genocidal, infanticidal fake god like the one in the Bible. In fact it is quite invigorating to know that the sick S&M fantasy of Hell is nothing but pathetic nonsense.  

• ?

Trying to be a good person should not involve an afterlife consideration, you should just be such as a matter of course.