Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Why is camoflauge the default color of hunters clothing instead of color of deer fur?

Otherwise all you need to be shot at is a pair of horns.

• Aspen

Sometimes camo is necessary for a successful hunt. Sometimes not considering some animals are more or less  colorblind. That’s why you can get away with wearing blaze bright orange during deer/elk season because they can’t see that color. But then, what hunter wants to walk around town wearing blaze orange? At some point camo just becomes a fashionable urban statement. Blaze orange just isn’t cool as camo when at the store. But regarding the actual practice of hunting, it just depends on the game you are pursuing; on how good or reliant they are on eyesight vs their other senses. 

More wearing of blaze orange might help because every year there is a report of some hunter blasting away at “what I really thought was a deer” without waiting to actually confirm the identity of their target. And if you are going to pack out a deer, PLEASE put a blaze orange vest on him or around his antlers. I have complete confidence in myself hunting, but I have very little faith in some of the other yahoos roaming the mountains. 

• Quinn

Because hunters are not stupid enough to want to mistaken for a deer and get shot by other hunters.

Why of course ... go ahead with antlers attached to your hat.

Get down on all fours an imitate the footsteps of a deer.

• BBean

Camouflage is not a single color...rather a conglomerate of colors...and is for character more than anything so when decked out in full camo...everyone in the coffee shop perceives you as a hunter(or a poser) prior to going to the stand or coming back from. 

Orange is `default` but never green nor brown conglomerate camouflage unless with a blaze orange vest with 144 square inches average in most states (I have seen exotic orange patterns) https://www.google.com/search?ei=2P8LYLH0LPL25gLL_... Blaze orange is the default color in most places, however, there`s always that certain % that may think you have to look the same as your game.(they are at risk to lose just buying green bananas)

Deer are prey and they see motion far better than they see patterns.   You are not fooling them with the camo,   you move and they see you.    The camo is so other hunters do not see you and think YOU are a deer and take a shot at you.   

• Robin

Most hunters in my area just wear tweed. No camo, no bright orange 

• Mr.357

Not everyone hunts deer and most people don't want to look like deer for obvious reasons.

• Adam D

Because the goal isn't to blend in with deer, it is to blend in with the environment.  There are a lot more leaves and trees than deer in any given area.

I'm not real sure you're smart enough to figure it out on your own. Maybe if you think about it for a few days  you will....