? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Is it possible for a LPR (green card holder) to loose their permanent resident status if they had sex outside the US with someone underage ?


The age of consent in most US states is 16. In many countries in Europe, South American and China it is 14. Let's say a citizen from Germany or Hungary lives in the US as a green card holder and goes back to visit their home country. The person engages in sex with a 14 year old (which is legal there). If someone finds out and reports them in the United States, can they actually be stripped of their Green Card, deported from the US and banned from ever entering the United States again? Can the US government actually do that?

8 Answers

  • RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Sure can

    Its common practice for the phones, laptops and tablets of single males returning from countries that are considered Sex Vacation Spots to be examined. Even if a citizen you can be prosecuted

  • 1 month ago

    You know if people having sex would keep their mouth shut about it, the rest of us wouldn't know about it and we really don't want to know about it.  Why report your sexual perversions?  Are you proud of them?  Do you want me to think you are normal?  Why?  Why?  Why?

  • 1 month ago

    IF the report is of any criminal nature, e.g. domestic violence, child abuse, sexual abuse, rape, etc., conviction of any such crime is listed as CIMT - Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude. CIMT, whether misdemeanor or felony, is grounds for revocation of any visa or green card with deportation/mandatory departure & permanent bar to entry to US.

  • 1 month ago

    Loose = not firmly attached.

    Lose   = gone, not there anymore

    If you have LOOSE lug nuts on your car's wheels, it's possible that you will LOSE those wheels and end up in the hospital.

    A LPR can never loose his Green Card, but he can lose it.

    Now that we have basic English out of the way, let me answer your question. Since sex with a 14-year-old is not illegal in Hungary, there's no way for a US DA to find out. But let's say an American, or a LPR, is on a vacation in Thailand, where he bangs a 12-year-old, and this person is being prosecuted there and convicted, as it has happened with several Americans, it's quite possible that a US DA would also prosecute that case.

    Source(s): An immigrant to the United States myself, I worked as a corporate attorney and now live in Ojai, California.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Edit:   Gee, a thumb down for posing an exactly correct answer backed up with a link to the appropriate part of the State Department website.  Why do I suspect someone is butthurt? 

    Yes. The USA practices "universal jurisdiction" with regard to some crimes, and having sex with a minor while abroad in one of them:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/interna...

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    What is legal in other countries is nothing at all to do with the US

  • Pete
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    LOL. How is someone going to find out unless you tell them, and how could they prove it? If you aren't charged with a crime in Europe, US authorities would have no idea.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Yes. US citizens and permanent residents are subject to US laws even when they travel outside of the US. If an LPR sleeps with an underage person anywhere they can be prosecuted in the US under US law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.