david
david asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What the heck is wrong with the NG's commissioned officers!?! Why did they fail to find a place for their troops to sleep indoors!?

That's a military leaders job! Literally half your job! Mission, (wo)men! 

The 1st question of deployment is, "Where?" The second is, "How do I get them there?" Third, "How do I care for them?" That's it. That's what you do. Since visitor travel to DC had waned due to CoViD-19 and insurrection worries, there MUST have been plenty of hotel and motel rooms available to garrison the troops.  

I guess the hotels were all closed to stop the spread of covid-19.

Where would YOU have put 25.000 people?

The kiddie twiddlers have been identified and forced to sleep outdoors.  That's just the way it goes.  Do you think you can do a better job of finding a place for 25,000 people to sleep?  I'm sure that's not an easy task.

During the Malaysian Emergency, the RAF had a Base at RAF Kuantan and everything was under Canvas

including Ammo Prep we made up 500 Lb bombs in a Big Tent

that was Life for 6 Months

at Labuan Island, we Lived in Indian Long Huts no Airconditioning but a Fan at each end to Mover the Air

• Bill-M

Something you don't understand about the ARMY.

They are Trained to Crawl Through Mud,  Sleep in Tents, and Eat MRE's.

That is their life style.

On the other hand if you look at the Air Force or the Navy, there is no mud, they sleep in proper beds and don't eat MRE's.

• Daniel

I thought the same thing.  My first thought was that it's the Army running things and their leaders don't seem to understand how the Joint Travel Regs work (which is why you see Soldiers sleeping in airports while Airmen and snug in the best hotels per diem can pay for).

However, buried in one article I just read on Military Times' website says that they were just taking breaks there and that they were housed elsewhere. 

how the f*** do you mobilize 25,000 troops and then provide no place for them to sleep or take a whiz?   WTF? 

The Guard troops were indoors in an underground parking garage. Obviously, it was not acceptable. There needs to be an accounting. My guess is that some civilian Capitol executive asked the Guard to clear the halls for whatever purpose.