What is the temperature of the ocean? Is it colder than the water?

Update:

Maybe I should be more pacific. What is the temperature of the Atlantic Ocean?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

here is a rough estimate thruout the year for the atlantik ocean temp 

Attachment image
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Atlantic varies considerably due to the Gulf Stream which channels warm water from the Caribbean north east wards between Iceland and the British Isles. Hence Iceland and the U.K. are relatively warm given their latitudes and Norway’s Atlantic coast is normally ice free while the Baltic ports at the same latitude freeze up in winter.

The western side of the North Atlantic ( Greenland abs the Canadian east coast) is far colder as the Gulf stream has less effect. 

Similarly the South Atlantic had no equivalent of the Gulf Stream and so will be colder at the equivalent latitudes.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Temperature of the Ocean Water Varies depending on your location.  Way up north around ICELAND and GREENLAND the Water Temperature is Freezing.  But down by the Equator it is nice and warm.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. The Atlantic Ocean is always pacifically colder than the water. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

it varies, between a few degrees celsius below zero to a couple of dozen degrees celsius above zero

Seawater above 27 celsius causes hurricanes

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The ocean IS the water.

The temperature of an ocean varies with latitude - its warmer near the equator for example.  And its warmer along a surface current.

So if you want a temperature, you need so be SPECIFIC (pacific means peaceful).

• 1 month ago

It varies a lot from location to location and even depth.  The Atlantic Ocean in Maine where I grew up is cold, that I can tell you from experience.  Can't stand on the beach because the sand is too hot, but the water is like ice and too cold to go in.  What to do?  Eventually I deal with the cold, but it will wake you up and shrivel you up.  Turtle time.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you might be able to get that info online

• 1 month ago

how can the temperature be colder than it's temperature ??  silly question of the day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.